Possible to automatically force vCard download to iphone on website?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NicolasHo, Dec 28, 2009.

1. NicolasHo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I would like to upload my vCard onto a website, so when an iphone (/ other smart phone) user visits the website, my contact information is automatically stored in their phone. I would assume the user is promted first. Once downloaded, the actual website displays.

If this is not possible with vCards, is there a format that is supported on the iphone?

I know it's possible do all of this through applications or sending the contact vCard by SMS, email etc - but I would like to do it on a website.

Is it possible?

You're help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Nicolas

2. NicolasHo thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone with any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I'm still searching for a solution.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Nick

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

and you think people would be happy if you dumped something onto their iPhone? forced downloading is not something people would be happy with; it smacks of attempted hacking.

4. raoulw macrumors newbie

Force downloading? Attempted hacking? The OP is asking about linking to vcards just like you link to PDFs, HTML or any other standard content from a web page. For the record OP, iPhone doesn't recognize VCARD downloads in Safari Mobile, but if you send a VCARD by email, you can open them & save details to Address Book that way.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

the OP is asking to force the vcard into the iPhone's address book. That counts as hacking in my book. this is not the same as what a normal website does when you use it. Normal non-hostile websites don't download stuff unless you ask. e-mail is not the question.

6. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Stop being so dramatic. Hackers attempt to circumvent security. He's doing no such thing. He wants a simple vCard to be stored in the phone IF THE USER SAYS THEY WANT THE VCARD. The website would not be "hostile" as you say. Please remove the tin foil hat now.

To the OP: There isn't a way to download a vCard to the iPhone, since it prohibits downloading of items in Safari. Email is the only real solution I see. Maybe having them sign up for a mailing list, and send them the vCard along with it?

7. NicolasHo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for all your answers. I think what I'm trying to do is just not possible on the iphone.

Other phones (android, blackberry) do allow vCard downloads from the web, but the iPhone has restricted the allowed downloadable filetypes to just a few apparently. We'll see - maybe at some point in the future, it will all be possible.

There seems no logical reason to stop people downloading vCards to iPhones - but for the iPhone - you need to download an app to do it.

Offering an email form seems to be a workable solution - and is what companies that offer vCard hosting seem to be doing as well.

Cheers for all your comments!

Nicolas

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

aha....the user titles the post with "FORCE", then misspells "prompted" so I read it as trying to force a download without user permission.

9. bukalemun macrumors member

Qrafter can open vCards from Safari now.

I know this is a thread that's more than a year old, but still, there was no way to download vCards using Safari until now. I wanted to let all know that now you can download and open vCards including its photos from Safari using Qrafter. You can get Qrafter from here.

After installing Qrafter, you may need to completely close and reopen Safari if you have an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4. That way, Safari will understand that it can now support .vcf files and will give you an option to open the URL in Qrafter. Select it and the vCard will be opened.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Recently ran into the same problem. Unfortunately Apple doesn't allow Safari to open the vCard files (hence the download error message).

The only solution is to create some sort of email form and hook it into a PHP script so that when a user adds their email address they are automatically sent the vCard as an attachment.

Unlike with Safari, the vCard can be downloaded to the Address Book from the iPhone's Mail app.

Have a look at this code by Neil Crosby on GitHub for a proof of concept (though I haven't yet tested it myself):

https://github.com/NeilCrosby/multi-level-vcards/commit/66605d729269636e9521be0f0f78c5ffb1c8b6b5

11. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

out of curiosity.... do you consider a website "dumping" cookies on your computer hacking? Just asking.... cause wow