Possible to avoid scratches on Jet Black?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doc69, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Doc69 macrumors 6502

I'm about to buy a new iPhone 7. I want the Jet Black because it has much better grip than the others, and I never use a case (only a Sena Heritage Slim pouch). Since I upgrade every year, I always sell my old ones on eBay. And since I take good care of them, they basically look brand new, and I get a good price. However, I'm now worrying that after a year, the apparently scratch prone Jet Black iPhone may look so beaten up that I won't get much for it when selling it. For you Jet Black owners out there, do you think a careful person will be able to use one for a year and still have it look almost new after that?

Also, if someone is using a Sena Heritage Slim pouch with their Jet Black iPjhone 7, does the pouch in general or specifically the seams inside scratch the finish?

2. Brandonjr36 macrumors 6502a

Maybe put a skin on it?

3. mildocjr, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

mildocjr macrumors 65816

Leave it in the box, even then you end up with a schroedinger's phone.

Worst case you end up with an iPhone 7 that looks like a 3GS after a year of use.

4. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I don't think it's possible to not get any scratches, but they don't necessarily look bad. But your phone will definitely not look brand new in a year.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No possible way to avoid any scratches on the Jet Black if you use it without a case. If you get it, don't unbox it.

6. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't expect it to look brand new, but I hope it will look decent enough so that I can sell if for the same price I usually get for a one-year-old iPhone.

Maybe that's not too bad then! I don't remember having any difficulties selling my 3GS because of scratches. And I really want the Jet Black version because of the great grip. I had never dropped an iPhone in my life until the 6 design came along...

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I don't think you'll have any more trouble selling it than any other color if you take care of it.

8. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

It will be interesting too see want the used phone market does. With Apple now selling used phones that include a warranty. Also all the problems with locked phones still attached to an account from private sellers. IMHO, I see the market drying up, or prices being half of what they are now. Plus, throw in the deals the carriers have, and buying a used phone from a private sale is just not worth it.

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

And that's what it comes down to for resale
    Of anything, take care of it and treat it with respect.

10. Relentless Power, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Well stated and in practical terms.

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Here's a thought to share. Say there are minor scratches on my iPhone when I sell it in a year. I ought to lower the price compared to those in like-new conditions. How much lower?

$50? $100?

Alternatively, people buy cases to protect the phones from scratches, which are not cheap either, and some buy more than one.

So who ends up spending more at the end...

12. Doc69 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I bought a Jet Black iPhone 7 today. Let's see how it holds up! I love how it feels in my hand compared to the 6/6s, which is why I bought it.

13. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I was literally just looking at the back of my iPhone before I came here and thinking about how well it's still holding up despite what some people claim. Micro abrasions are unavoidable, but if you take care of your phone like I do, you won't get any bad scratches. Mine still looks fantastic.

14. Pelea macrumors 6502

after 1 hour my iphone 7 jet black looked more scratched than my old iphone 4 that i had for 2 years without a case. and all i did with the iphone 7 was place it on a table and put it in my pocket, which had no other objects in it at all.

so ye basically as soon the phone comes into contact with anything it'll instantly get scratched
    --- Post Merged, Nov 20, 2016 ---
    after 1 hour my iphone 7 jet black looked more scratched than my old iphone 4 that i had for 2 years without a case. and all i did with the iphone 7 was place it on a table and put it in my pocket, which had no other objects in it at all.

so ye basically as soon the phone comes into contact with anything it'll instantly get scratched

15. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I would take a picture of mine after 3½ weeks of owning one, but I can't get the micro abrasions to show up on camera. I wonder how some people really treat their phones if it's as bad as some of you say.

16. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

sure, if you never open it.

It is impossible to avoid scratches on this device.

17. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

I've had mine in the apple leather case since I bought it and I only take it out to put it in an arm band when I go running a few times a week and it has acquired many of the hairline micro scratches all over the back.

But you only see them in direct sunlight. It's the same as the front display basically. You only see them if you go hunting for it. I really love the jet black though. But there really is no way to avoid the micro scratches after you take off the plastic!

18. mysteryGenius macrumors member

mysteryGenius

Just get it and use it and enjoy it. Are you buying it for you or for the person who has it in 18 months time?!

Look after it as best you can, accidents will happen, don't stress about it...

...And wear sunscreen.

19. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

It would look better without the huge iGlass logo on the bottom. There are numerous options for very thin, clear cases if you just want to prevent scratches. That's what I favour for my devices. I don't like covering them up and I hate adding bulk.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

21. mysteryGenius macrumors member

mysteryGenius

Just get it and use it and enjoy it. Are you buying it for you or for the person who has it in 18 months time?!

Look after it as best you can, accidents will happen, don't stress about it...

...And wear sunscreen.

22. Rocko99 macrumors member