Possible to back up for Snow Leopard with Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by haiggy, Apr 19, 2009.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hey guys,
    Does anybody know if it will be possible to back up all your data with Time Machine on Leopard and then install Snow Leopard and use Time Machine to restore all of your pictures/movies/music and the like?

I'm going to assume it's a no go since Time Machine is capable of a full system backup -- it may just turn your system back into Leopard? Am I wrong on this assumption?

I tried to search the forums but didn't find any similar threads.

What do you think? I'm sure the safest bet would just to back it all up manually on an external drive or something but I was hoping it may be easy to do with Time Machine for example.

I am aware of the other backup solutions as well -- but do you think it would work with Time Machine specifically?

Thanks

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

good question though remember that to restore from time machine, you still need to reinstall leopard first

also, you can simply upgrade the os without losing any data as well (if the past has been any indication)

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

As long as the user name is the same in both versions AND the only thing you back up in time machine under Leopard it might be possible. A better way is to simply back up your movies,pics etc to an external drive using backup software.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Or just do an Archive and Install and that keeps your user documents when you move over...

5. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks,
    As I said I was aware of other backup options and yes, good points are the Archive and Install or Upgrade but I was wondering if you were able to do a fresh install and still use TM to get your data back.

Good call on requiring the Leopard install... I thought about that before the post but wasn't 100% but that makes sense. I guess if that's the case then I don't see why not....

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Yes, I believe the Migration Assistant that runs on first boot of the new OS allows you to use Time machine to restore your data, but not the OS.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It also doesn't copy your applications over, which I wasn't happy about when I put a new HD in my Mac.

But that is probably what you want here :p.