Possible to boost internet connection by using ethernet and airport at the same time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by callsignAPOLLO, Aug 1, 2008.

1. callsignAPOLLO macrumors newbie

This may not work for everyone. I'm at a college that has both an ethernet based internet connection and a wireless connection; there are different processes to register for these separate connections. One connection is in the wall while the other is a wireless one via one of the several routers set up in the building. I have a new 24" imac with an airport card.
    I want my internet to go a little faster and/or have a bit more bandwidth; is it possible to tap into both the connections at the same time and how would you know which connection you are using at any given time? For all I know I AM using both at the same time right now. Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, I'm new to this forum; so I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong place or anything like that.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I doubt seriously that you can use both the wireless and ethernet connections simultaneously, but even if you could, you're still connecting to the same ISP, so you're still limited by the ISP speed. You can prove this for yourself, using SpeedTest, or similar site:

1. Connect only the ethernet and turn airport off. Test your speed.
    2. Connect only airport and unplug the ethernet. Test your speed.
    3. Leave both airport and ethernet connected. Test your speed.
    You'll find your speed is unchanged.

3. callsignAPOLLO thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, you were VERY helpful, unfortunately I just realized that the router connection is down and I've been using just the ethernet connection today. I doubt there's a way to increase the speed using both connections but I really like the site you posted thanks alot!