Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexy1326

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
Now that Apple has switched to Intel chips, would it be possile to build a computer from scratch and have it run MAC OS X?! It's something I've always wanted to do.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
In a word no... Unless you use a cracked version of OS X floating around the internet... It probably wouldn't be much more expensive to buy a Mac than build yourself (though not if you want things like multiple internal hard drives and PCI card slots)

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
can't say I can take credit here, but this is (sort of) a homebuilt mac

case2.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/170902/

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
you CAN, but in essence you would be building a mac that you could buy, from parts of broken macs or something.

you cant take a part from most macs and use it in another, unfortunately.

aside from the usual, RAM/HD/Optical etc

when it comes to CPUs, mobos, PSUs, and all that, NO you really cant.

All you could do was find all the parts for one mac and build it.

Though the G4 towers were "upgradeable" with daughtercards etc...

But the newer macs, no way.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It'd be a lot easier to buy a Mac (new or used) and re-case it, adding other options you'd like.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
Eraserhead said:
In a word no... Unless you use a cracked version of OS X floating around the internet... It probably wouldn't be much more expensive to buy a Mac than build yourself (though not if you want things like multiple internal hard drives and PCI card slots)

Hm.. assuming I buy an Apple Power Mac Intel (as soon as they're out), and start upgrading hardware.. the harddisk, then the processor, a better DVD-writer, etc... when exactly would it become illegal? When I exchange the mainboard (oh - sorry, I think Apple calls this a logic-board)?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
rexy1326 said:
I've heard it's a nightmare to re-case a MAC computer.

It depends heavily on which Mac you're talking about and what case it's going into....it's usually not terribly difficult.

Generally speaking, you can't build a Mac. Certainly not from a standard PC motherboard, since that would require using the cracked OS X floating around illegally on the 'net. On the other hand, you could get broken Macs and pulled parts at a discount and put them together into a working machine with a unique configuration - that's about as close as you'll get to building your own Mac right now.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
weg said:
Hm.. assuming I buy an Apple Power Mac Intel (as soon as they're out), and start upgrading hardware.. the harddisk, then the processor, a better DVD-writer, etc... when exactly would it become illegal? When I exchange the mainboard (oh - sorry, I think Apple calls this a logic-board)?
Well the hard disk, the DVD, the RAM are all replaceable parts.
The processor is more problematic - Apple does not design their machines for processor upgrades. Some third party companies have offered them for G3 and G4 machines (not G5s) - who knows for the intels? Certainly it would void the warranty, as would taking the machine out of the Apple case or swapping motherboards.
The power supplies that Apple uses are generally proprietary, and ATX power supplies cannot be used without modification.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
To be fair, we haven't seen what the Intel PowerMac will look like yet...Being a desktop it may have more commonality with PCs than the PPC Macs did, like standard ATX power and whatnot. We'll see.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I'm actually wondering - is Apple currently selling the version of Mac OS X that ships with Intel Macs? Because different manufacturers have started selling Core Duo compatible motherboards, so I wonder if it would be possible to buy one of those and a Core Duo and install Mac OS X on it? Just a wild shot in the dark, here.

Oh, and nice use of the shoebox Mac, though technically that was already an assembled G3 that I transfered into a shoebox in order to move it.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
No, Apple does not sell Mac OS X for Intel separately. The only legal way to get a copy is to buy it with an Intel Mac.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
CanadaRAM said:
Well the hard disk, the DVD, the RAM are all replaceable parts.
The processor is more problematic - Apple does not design their machines for processor upgrades. Some third party companies have offered them for G3 and G4 machines (not G5s) - who knows for the intels? Certainly it would void the warranty, as would taking the machine out of the Apple case or swapping motherboards.
The power supplies that Apple uses are generally proprietary, and ATX power supplies cannot be used without modification.
Somewhere there's a link I saw to someone upgrading a Core Solo mini to a 2.16(?) GHz Core Duo.

EDIT: Found it: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=91459

You're right though about Intel Powermacs, we'll just have to wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.