possible to buy apple oem ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patr1arch, Mar 3, 2011.

1. patr1arch macrumors newbie

I just bought one of the new 13" i5 mb pros online. I couldn't find an online retailer that sold the ssd upgrade for a reasonable price so just got the base model. I would like to add an ssd drive and am wondering if it's possible to buy the official apple oem drive anywhere? I read in some other posts that you can't go to an apple store and buy one. I tried contacting a couple authorized resellers/repair centers but haven't found one that sells it yet.

I'm interested in the official one because that seems to be the only way to get trim support right now.

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Mac OS X does not support Trim for any SSD, Apple OEM or otherwise. You'll have to wait for Mac OS X Lion to get Trim support.

Get a third party Sandforce-based SSD. Then you don't have to worry about Trim support. You'll also get better performance for less money.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The "10.6.6a" supplied with the new MBPs has an entry for Trim in System Profiler.

4. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I've heard of no such things as 10.6.6a nor for Trim support in anything but Lion. Do you have a source?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

There's some initial discussion here. Nobody seems to know for sure yet whether there is "actual" support, but the line is there in the Profiler.

6. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

you can find them on ebay

7. patr1arch thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. I've been looking on ebay but have only see older drives so far. do I have to wait until drives from the newer models trickle down...there is no way to buy a new one?

8. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

No , but if you can just wait 3 months TRIM should be available for all ssd's. Your better off getting a far superior ssd elsewhere for less right now.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If you get a drive with garbage collection, you won't need TRIM.

Get a Vertex 3 when they come out in a few weeks. It'll spank any Apple OEM SSD anyways.

10. Whitelightning macrumors regular

It will spank those prices higher than Apple SSDs too lol