Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I'm trying to buy my parents a macbook who lives in another country. Is there a way to do this? I've tried online purchase, it just doesn't work unless you have a credit card of that country.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
I'm trying to buy my parents a macbook who lives in another country. Is there a way to do this? I've tried online purchase, it just doesn't work unless you have a credit card of that country.
I live in Costa Rica in which I have made many Apple Purchases through the Apple On-line Store in the USA in which I charge these purchases on my Visa Credit Card from a Bank in the USA.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I live in Costa Rica in which I have made many Apple Purchases through the Apple On-line Store in the USA in which I charge these purchases on my Visa Credit Card from a Bank in the USA.

Yes that works because you have a US credit card. I don't have a credit card from my parent's country.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
I would just try to find another online shop that is authorized to sell MacBooks in you parents' country. Normally it's only Apple who does not accept foreign credit cards. As long as the shipping address is in the same country as the shop, there shouldn't be any problem and most of them also have a little lower prices. On eBay there are also many Apple authorized sellers and you can use PayPal.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I would just try to find another online shop that is authorized to sell MacBooks in you parents' country. Normally it's only Apple who does not accept foreign credit cards. As long as the shipping address is in the same country as the shop, there shouldn't be any problem and most of them also have a little lower prices. On eBay there are also many Apple authorized sellers and you can use PayPal.

That's a great idea, but I couldnt find any such sellers, can you give me an example?

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
That's a great idea, but I couldnt find any such sellers, can you give me an example?

It depends on the country. Just search for the MacBook you want to buy in a price comparing search engine for that country or search on eBay for that MacBook in new condition and exclude auctions, you can define the location of the seller in the search options. If Amazon is available for your parents' country you can search there too.

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Yes that works because you have a US credit card. I don't have a credit card from my parent's country.

I use this same credit card for purchases here in Costa Rica as VISA Credit Cards are accepted almost world-wide, so, this leads to the question: What type of credit card do you have and why is it not accepted in the Country where your parents reside??

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I use this same credit card for purchases here in Costa Rica as VISA Credit Cards are accepted almost world-wide, so, this leads to the question: What type of credit card do you have and why is it not accepted in the Country where your parents reside??

What country credit card do you have and which country of the apple online store were you at?

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
How about buying from Amazon, B&H Photo or Mac Warehouse and have the Mac shipped to a cargo forwarding to your country?

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
What country credit card do you have and which country of the apple online store were you at?
As I stated before I have a Visa Credit Card from a bank in the good old USA and buy my Apple Products from the Apple On-line Store in Cupertino, Calif. USA??

Last edited:

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I once Bought a Macbook Air from the Apple US refurbished store with my Turkish Visa Card and shipped it to my cousin's US address. This was 4 years ago. I don't if it still works these days but I imagine it would. I used my already existing Apple ID in order to do it.

I ordered from the Apple US and the shipping address was also in the US. The only thing non-US was the credit card and the billing address.

I would give it a try anyway. Worse can happen is that Apple refuses the transaction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.