Possible to buy iPhone 4 in London ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Maxie, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Maxie macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I will be going to London next week and because my iPhone 3 was stolen, I want the iPhone 4 . But here in Belgium it is sold out everywhere .

Is it possible for a Belgian to buy an iPhone in London ? And can the menu in Dutch ?

Thanks all !!

Max

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

iPhone 4 seems plentiful in London, and you can have any menu you want by choosing it in the "International" section of General Settings.

3. Maxie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks !!

So they are in stock ? And the menu is in Dutch !

Great !

Thanks

But can I get the free bumper also when I buy the iPhone in London but when I live in Belgium ?

Thanks !!

4. shandyman Suspended

well most stores around me have them in stock constantly now. so london should be moreso

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The bumper is usually sent to you later, since you can use an App on the phone to apply for it, but I see no reason why living in Belgium would exclude you from the programme.

6. Maxie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks !

I will buy it next week in London !

Max

7. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Install the free case program, sign in with your itunes account that has your Belgium address and then it will be sent to that address. You can do right away since it will take at least 2 weeks to get to you.

8. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

If I bought an iPhone in London for use on AT&T in the USA, would it be locked to AT&T as soon as that SIM was activated in the phone?

9. marcin0903 macrumors regular

10. shandyman Suspended

as far as i am aware, the sim free one is permantly unlocked, not sure if they sell them sim free in the apple store in london, but i know you get them from the uk apple store online sim free.

11. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

If it's anything like buying an unlocked one in Canada, no. I put my Fido SIM in, connected the phone to my computer and iTunes for activation, and the first thing that appeared in iTunes was a screen saying, "Congratulations! Your iPhone is now unlocked." :)

12. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

Both Apple Retail stores AND Apple online in the UK sell SIM free phones.

13. molala macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's best that you activate it while in London with a UK sim card (most carriers will post a free sim card to a UK address that you can top up later, just sign up on their websites). Phone should be unlocked on activation. You won't have to connect to iTunes everytime you change sim cards, the new sim will just work.

14. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

Don't bother wasting your time with the instructions above. It's unlocked if you buy it for the full price from Apple Online, or an Apple Store. You can activate it with any sim card you like, and use it with any (micro) sim card you like. That's the point in paying extra for an unlocked one!

15. mad-dog-one macrumors 6502

Would a never activated USA iPhone 4 remain unlocked if it was first activated using a UK carrier SIM before activating it with an AT&T SIM?

16. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

No. It would be locked to the At&T network if bought as a subsidised locked iphone. The sim card doesn't control whether the phone is locked or not, it's the phone in conjunction with the Apple servers that do that.

17. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I hear two boys are selling it on London CraigsList. They got it from some guy using it in the streets while they were on their bikes.

18. Maxie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone !

Does somebody have an email from the Apple store in London ? Maybe I can reserve one already !

Thanks !

19. Maxie thread starter macrumors newbie

All,

I was in London and the iPhone 4 was SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE !! Regent Street, Covent Garden,...

They said they didn't know when they will have it but that you can queue .
    So I queued at 07.00 in Regent street and then there were already 100 persons waiting before the shops opened at 09.00.

So no deliveries !

So I can't understand why some people say they are in stock in London .

Maybe somebody knows how I can get one from out Belgium ?

Max

20. molala macrumors 6502a

If you are going somewhere else in the UK, you might have luck at Apple Stores in smaller cities. Or try the two other stores in London.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/storelist/

3-4 weeks ago people were able to buy them easily. Either stocks have dwindled again. Or there are more people in the queues these days. Or both.

21. Maxie thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed, many tourists - like I - were there . But I am not going to the UK soon and here in Belgium Mobistar has still no iPhone's . Is there another way ?

Thanks !

22. NaomiSmithxO macrumors member

NaomiSmithxO

I beg to differ.
    Plentiful as in available if your buying a contract with it, yeah ok to an extent, but not plentiful as in on pAYG.

But not via the Apple store. 3 days in a row, me and my boyfriend have been to RS and CG Apple Stores to see the stock situation and its been crap, I live 10 mins away from Apple CG and went early morning today to find there was none.

23. Maxie thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed , Me too . I waited from 07.00 till 10.00 at coven Garden and from 07.00 till 09.00 in Regent Street :(

24. SmackDown321 macrumors newbie

Price

Hey all
    is the price on the online iStore (ie 499 for the 16gig) the same as the actual iStore price?
    Thanks!! :)

25. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

Yes, and shut up.