iPhone Possible to buy new jailbreakable 4S? IOS 5.1 issues...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by occamsrazor, Nov 22, 2012.

1. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

So my iPhone 4S 32GB got stolen. It was factory unlocked on 5.0.1 and jailbroken.
    Today I went to a shop to buy a new factory-unlocked 4S 64GB which they assured me they could jailbreak. After a couple hours I realised they couldn't, as it was on 5.1.

My understanding is that for the 4S, IOS 5.1 cannot be jailbroken, it cannot now be upgraded to (jailbreakable) 5.1.1, and there is currently no jailbreak for IOS 6. Is all that correct?

So basically my only options to buy a 4S are somehow to find one that is on 5.1.1 from the factory (did they ever ship with 5.1.1 or only 5.1 ???). Or to wait for an IOS 6 jailbreak to be released. Or to buy a secondhand one on 5.1.1. Yes?

Thanks for your help...

2. occamsrazor, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012

occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Thanks for that chart, very helpful. That answers most of my questions except one: Am I correct in saying 5.1 on 4S cannot now be upgraded to 5.1.1? Or downgraded to 5.0.1?

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

not without shsh blobs been this way since the 3GS came out! if you need more info search shsh blobs what are they!

4. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Yes I know you can't downgrade without blobs, just wanted to clarify that the window for upgrading to 5.1.1 was also closed. Thanks for confirming. Guess I will have to hunt for a secondhand phone.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If jailbreaking immediately is a requirement for you, that is your only option.