Possible to cancel order from Apple & get refund?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richardroma, May 16, 2011.

1. richardroma macrumors newbie

Hi - I was just curious if anyone has had experience with canceling their iPad 2 order from Apple and getting a refund. If so, is it easy and how soon does the refund appear on your credit card?

The reason I ask is because I'm foolishly impulsive when it comes to buying things like this and the impatience I experience while waiting for my order to ship is excruciating. If I happen to find one at a local store, I'd rather just buy it there and cancel my Apple order. Thoughts?

2. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

Just cancel if it hasnt shipped yet apple hasnt charged you.

3. nosser macrumors regular

They haven't charged you but they are holding the funds. I canceled an order a day after placing it since I found one local and it I think it took 5 days to show back on my account and I was calling Apple and my bank to speed the process.

4. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

As long as it hasn't shipped. Then you can always bring the thing back to a store or request a refund (if unopened).

The hold funds are not held by Apple. It's held by the credit card issuer. It's really more like a reduction in available credit until the hold is cleared. Exception, of course, is if you paid cash up front.

5. richardroma thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys. Unfortunately, I am a complete moron. I hadn't realized Apple never charged my card, and I've been spending like I had $600 extra in the bank. Looks like I have some serious saving to do now.

I just found the iPad 2 at a local Target (thanks, FindOne app!) and canceled my order with Apple. Let me just say that Apple continues to impress me with their customer service and has ensured I'll never go back to PC. The toll-free automated system sounds like an actual human being (and a friendly one, at that) and got me right to a customer service rep who clearly wasn't in New Delhi and helped me quickly and courteously. Overall, the entire phone call to cancel my order took no more than 2 minutes total. Unreal!

6. Janet1 macrumors member

Apple has a 30 day, 100% money back, return policy, without penalty and no, they don't give you any problems if you decide to return your Apple product, for any reason whatsoever.

That doesn't apply to software that has been unsealed and opened, because you could buy, copy and return it. If the software seal not intact, they will only replace defective software.

7. French macrumors regular

Pretty sure it's 14 days.

8. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

This is perhaps the only the downside to Apple not charging until the device ships, but then again, if you are on such a tight budget that you are watching your account down to $600, do you really think an iPad is a smart idea?

I know, mind your damn business, I can do what I want with my money, etc...but if you end up going into debt just to have an iPad, how will you ever even afford to buy apps and cases for it?

9. Janet1 macrumors member

Is it? I'm sure they told me 30 days when I bought my iPod Touch at the Apple store, but I never actually looked it up.

I know for certain that you have 30 days to return your iPhone and they will refund and cancel your contract.

Maybe the 14 days is for products that are ordered and shipped, while 30 days applies to products purchased at one of their retail stores?

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Same as always, 14 days for everything except the iPhone, which is 30 days.

11. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I ordered my iPad 5 days ago through apple.com. If I cancel it tomorrow and buy one at target how long will apple put a hold on my credit card for?

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

They authorize the card the moment u order and the charge will go away in like 3 days. When they ship it it will get hit again and capture the funds.

13. oldkiss456 macrumors newbie

14. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I like that someone else out there like me, well I use to be like that now I research things to death and when I'm ready to buy the item is NOT available.

Then there's the searching game, seem's like it never ends. At least I got mine at a local college, last AT&T 16gig for a while is what they said :D, lots of VZW's on the shelves though.

15. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Is there any advantages to buying an ipad through apple over at Target?

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

No.