Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The fans are controlled by the system.

Are you saying that the fans do not spin up when needed?
You can use a utility that can monitor the fans to show you the speed, and also monitor the various temp sensors. That will give you a clue that your fans are working fine, keeping the system temps under control (or not!) by spinning up and down when needed.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
The fans are controlled by the system.

Are you saying that the fans do not spin up when needed?
You can use a utility that can monitor the fans to show you the speed, and also monitor the various temp sensors. That will give you a clue that your fans are working fine, keeping the system temps under control (or not!) by spinning up and down when needed.

i just want more control over my fan speeds like i did windows,with that said i used smc fan is it normal to see one option to change the fan speed in the system?i see others with imacs have 3 options etc

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
i just want more control over my fan speeds like i did windows,with that said i used smc fan is it normal to see one option to change the fan speed in the system?i see others with imacs have 3 options etc

I THINK there's only a single (larger) fan on any of the newer iMacs, someone else may post back who can verify that. The larger fan would be able to move more air (more efficient cooling), and run slower for less noise on average.
The older iMacs usually have up to 3 fans.

So, yes, you would only see one choice for changing fan speed (only one fan)

Just my opinion - the cooling is pretty good on the iMacs when booted to OS X. I would suggest that you decide by actual results if the cooling is working well, or (by how you work) that you need to "help" your cooling to some extent (when you actually note that the temp sensors report temps that you perceive as "uncomfortable". I might do that with temps above 200F/95C.
(I think you will find, as most users report, that the iMac does a sweet job at temp control without any assistance from you. :D )

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
The new 2013 iMac's only have 1 fan. Default speed is 1200RPM (at least for the 21.5" iMac's).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.