Possible to change order to 512 GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cubemmal, Dec 19, 2013.

  1. Cubemmal macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #1
    Two questions

    • I'm rethinking the fact that I got the 256GB standard and didn't upgrade the SSD. An extra $300 for PCIe 256 GB doesn't seem outrageous, maybe I should have just gotten it. How does that price compare for non Apple, or other thoughts?
    • Does Apple allow BTO changes after the fact, without altering the ship date?

    Thanks -
     
  2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    #2
    Not in my experience but give them a call
     
  3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

    Yahooligan

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Location:
    Illinois
    #3
    $300 for another 256GB isn't horrible. It's not as cheap as non-Apple via a 2.5" SSD but then you'd also need a TB enclosure to get the most performance out of it. On the flip side you're not going to get the same performance from that compared to the built-in SSD.

    If it were me, I'd go with the 512GB.

    As for being able to change your order, no idea. Only way to know would be to contact Apple and see.
     
  4. Quu macrumors 68020

    Quu

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    #4
    Call them ASAP on the phone. In the past I've been able to alter my order over the phone. Just whatever you do, don't cancel the order and place a new one or you will be at the end of the queue so to speak.

    Also make sure you have your payment information as they will need it to charge you the difference over the phone.
     
  5. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #5
    Thanks for the info. I'll sleep on it. I will upgrade to 64 GB RAM at some point, and be adding external goodies, so I need to figure out my strategy. 300 isn't horrible but it all quickly adds up.
     
  6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

    crjackson2134

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #6
    I've done the same thing. Had no problem modifying my order with a quick call.
     
  7. resotek macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2013
    #7
    I just cancelled my original order and placed a new order. The process is almost instant and painless. I saw you mention on another thread that you did the 0% financing and that won't be an issue either. Nothing will have been charged yet and it will not effect your ability to place a new order. In my case, I'm sure I lost a few spots in line, but it still says my nMP will ship in February.

    For the curious, I actually downgraded from the D700's to the D500's. I decided to use that $600 in a few months to upgrade my monitor.
     
  8. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #8
    Hmm, I'd just like to modify the order maybe, not cancel and re-order it.

    Well still can't decide. My price was $5,001 including tax which is about the limit. I can spend more, and will do so in upgrades but it's a psychological thing. I'd like to reserve some funds to get a Sonnet 15 dock and 64 GB RAM.
     
  9. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #9
    OK I called and got the definitive word. You can't change an existing order according to the person I talked to. You have to cancel it and place a new order, which would then ship with the latest shipping estimate (i.e. February). So I'd wait an extra month.

    At any rate that's fine, I'm on the fence about it and felt good about the configuration in my original order when I placed it. My strategy was to go with the minimum flash and just keep the OS and basic home directory on that, and put my big files (games, apps, etc) on an external SSD. Or I can put the entire home directory on an external drive - I do that on my MP already.
     
  10. Quu macrumors 68020

    Quu

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    #10
    That is really unusual cube. I've never had problems changing my BTO orders before. Nothing about needing to cancel.

    If you change your mind and want that larger SSD call back and try talking to someone more senior.
     
  11. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

    crjackson2134

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #11
    Like Quu, it was a quick phone call and the order was changed ASAP for me. I guess the policy changed.
     
  12. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #12
    Just called again hours later, got a different person, same story. No hesitation, she said the only way is to cancel and re-order, and that would put me back at the end of the queue.

    I wonder if it's because it's a BTO. Or maybe because they're building it RIGHT NOW, lol ...
     
  13. Larry-K macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2011
    #13
    I had a 256 three years ago, and I knew it would be tight, but these days I don't think that amount is practical anymore. I have another 7TB on this Mac Pro, and I dump everything I can into it, ASAP.

    For a Pro Machine I think 512 should be your minimum, Apps ain't getting any smaller.
     
  14. Spinland macrumors 6502

    Spinland

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2011
    Location:
    Utica, NY, USA
    #14
    +1. I tried all the tricks to trim my main workstation's system drive to below 256 when I was trying to decide what size SSD to put in. In the end I really couldn't do it without a lot of hassle, even after symbolic-linking a lot of stuff to a secondary drive bay. I got the 512 then, and got it again now, and IMNSDHO it's really the sweet spot for a system drive.
     
  15. cyberock macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2013
    #15
    I went with the 256. The one thing people always seem to think is that an SSD won't fail. I have seen just as many SSDs fail as spinners. Now the reason I bring that up is because I plan to have nothing but the OS and maybe a couple of my core programs like Adobe CS on it. Everything else such as photos and video will be on a raid drive connected to it. Anything that is not replaceable should not be on that drive and should be on some type of raid system. If I really find myself needing more space, I'll replace it for a heck of a lot cheaper sometime next year.
     
  16. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #16

    Yeah this is my thinking too. Saying 512 is a "Pro" SSD is kind of arbitrary.

    I'm OK with it, I spent a fortune ($5k) on this computer, it's easy to keep doing "one more thing". I could go 512 and 64GB, that would put me near $6k. Why not go octo? You've got to stop somewhere.

    Anyhow I have a couple of Extreme OWC SSD's not being used that I'll pair with the nMP, it'll be more than fast enough.
     
  17. cinealta macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    #17
    How do you put the home directory on an external drive? What do you have on the boot drive? Do you have to tell OSX where the home directory is located? Thanks for your advice.
     
  18. sboerup macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2009
    #18
    http://bit.ly/1euKSEZ :) :) :)

    As for changing your order, you cannot. I called and they said I had to cancel and re-order.

    But thankfully the SSD is user-replaceable so it can be upgraded later down the road.
     
  19. Cubemmal thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2013
    #20
    Easy, just go into "Advanced Options" under System Preferences>Users. Right click on your entry and set the home directory wherever you want. I've done this many times, works great.

    When SSD's came out and were smaller than spinners, we didn't have Fusion and I don't like it anyhow. I partitioned my system into

    • / (Boot SSD containing operating system and most applications. I also keep an emergency "Admin" account in /Users)
    • /Volumes/Homes (regular users - i.e. my account on an SSD)
    • /Volumes/Media (a big spinner to hold big applications, data, etc)


    ----------

    Yeah, Apple specifically has documentation to that effect so it's officially blessed. This is better, I'll use that money elsewhere for now (RAM) and down the road I'll upgrade to a TB, probably a faster one at that.
     
  20. cinealta macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    #21
    Great. Thanks for your advice!
     

Share This Page