Possible to close macbook and not go on standby?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wraz, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Wraz macrumors regular

Hey there.

I was wondering if i could make my macbook not go standby if i close it, and my 2nd monitor wont black out?

Cheers

2. Wraz thread starter macrumors regular

3. Wraz thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thank you very much!
    Btw, will this make my mac run a little faster than if i use 2 displays? and will the air curkulation be good enough?

4. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

The MacBook will require an extra 16MB VRAM (Intel) or more (NV) to run an external monitor even if the internal monitor is inactive. The MacBook hinge is designed so that when it is open, air is pushed up towards the screen; and when it is closed air is pushed under the hinge and out the back (you'll notice a 1/8th inch gap when the lid is closed) and as long as nothing is blocking the gap the air circulation will be sufficient.

5. Kim Philby macrumors newbie

But the air is pulled in through the keyboard. Won't closing the lid stifle that air flow?

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It'll be fine unless he's really maxing out the CPU. It's not like the computer is airtight and will create a vacuum inside from the fan running with the lid shut. Sure, cooling efficiency will be lower than if the computer were open, but I haven't had any problems with overheating that the fan ramping up on it's own didn't take care of.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For better or worse, also, all the current Apple notebooks are designed with clamshell operation in mind. Meaning, they may get hotter, but as a user, you should not worry about the impact of this on your notebook.