Possible to completely backup to iCloud?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mainer4101, Oct 30, 2013.

1. mainer4101 macrumors member

So here's the situation - I have a 2009 mac mini and I'm definitely ready for an upgrade. I also don't have an external hard drive to back up my computer, so was looking for alternatives before buying one. I just upgraded to 10.9 and since I had iWork '09 I got a free upgrade to the newest version. However, I also only had iLife '09, so did not get the latest upgrade for iPhoto. Now, with the addition of iBooks to 10.9 my question is this: If I upgrade to the latest version of iPhoto (paid the $19.99 or however much it is), does that mean that I can essentially have all of the contents on my computer backed up so when I sign in to a new computer it will download from the cloud? All my PDFs I could put in iBooks, all photos in iPhoto, all my other documents in iWorks, and all my music and movies on iTunes. Can anyone think of anything that will not be transferred that I am not thinking of? Does it seem like I could essentially buy a new computer and not have to back up my old one while still keeping my files, or does that seem too good to be true?

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

No. your entire photo library does not go to the Cloud. Neither does PDF's in iBooks at least I do not think. Best bet, get an external hard drive, and back up with Time Machine.