Possible to connect 2011 Air to 2009 iMac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RealEvil, Jul 27, 2011.

1. RealEvil macrumors 6502

Hi,

My 11" MB Air Ultimate :)-)) is winging its way to me on a slow boat from China. In the meantime I have just realised that I probably cannot connect it to my 2009 iMac that has the MDP input.

Do I have any options? Can I get a Thunderbolt MDP to Dual DVI cable and then connect that to a Dual DVI -> MDP cable (if they exist)? I want the full native iMac resolution and not 1080 resolution (I actually have a HDMI to MDP converter box for my XBOX 360 but that liimts to 720p).

Thanks

2. luvTN macrumors newbie

3. RealEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

Are you sure about this? I *think* I read that the new Thunderbolt machines can only plug into a Thunderbolt enabled MDP port. I mightbe wrong, and I hope you are right.

4. szolr macrumors 6502

I believe you can use a mini display port to dvi adapter. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB570Z/A If you look through the questions and answers section there's a pretty clear post stating that "Thunderbolt is fully backwards compatible with Mini Display products". So this cable will work with Thunderbolt Macs.

But I don't think a Thunderbolt cable will work with a non Thunderbolt Mac.

5. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

I got the last 4:3 imac version in 2009 and unfortunately you can not use them as monitor for your MBA (there is just no input). This is only possible with the 16:9 iMAC's.

6. luvTN macrumors newbie

Honestly I lost my cable so I can't try it out right now but it's very likely to work. I think only when you have the new iMac (which is thunderbolt-ready), you need a thunderbolt cable (think output vs input).

It's only a few bucks anw.

7. DrDoug macrumors member

What did you do in the end. Did you get the two working together?

thanks

8. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Why do people call it ultimate? I've never seen that on the apple website as an option, but I constantly see people referring to their MBA as ultimate....it sounds so Microsoft and I don't like it.

9. fyrefly macrumors 6502a