Possible to connect 30" ACD and 24" ACD to 2013 iMac?

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi,

I'm wondering if it's possible to connect a 30" ACD and 24" ACD (the LED backlit one) to a 2013 iMac through adaptors? Will that work all right?

I've read around a little but never got a clear answer.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

phobos

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
I don't know what type of connection the apple Cinema Display is using but chances are you can.
I'm using a display that has an hdmi port and the only thing I had to do was just connect it through a mini display adapter to the imac.
If I remember correctly apple displays are using thunderbolt as their connection so no problem there.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I don't know what type of connection the apple Cinema Display is using but chances are you can.
I'm using a display that has an hdmi port and the only thing I had to do was just connect it through a mini display adapter to the imac.
If I remember correctly apple displays are using thunderbolt as their connection so no problem there.
I see. Well the 24 inch ACD is using MDP I think, and the 30 inch has a big power brick and a normal sort of VGA(?) connector which goes into the GPU. The newer displays all use TB.

Nugget

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
Houston Texas USA
The 30" display is dual-link DVI (not to be confused with single-link DVI). There's a Mini-DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter available (costs $99) which would work for it.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
The 30" display is dual-link DVI (not to be confused with single-link DVI). There's a Mini-DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter available (costs $99) which would work for it.
Can MDP be plugged into a Thunderbolt port? Or would I need a MDP to Thunderbolt adaptor too?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Yep. I got blind-sided by this unfortunate item. Just got a new mini and had to buy the $99 dual-link to hook up my old 30".

Beware, everyone. It's something to consider. I was working with 1/4 the resolution for a week while waiting for the adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.