Possible to connect a 24" apple cinema display to a 27" Imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by binbs, Apr 19, 2010.

1. binbs macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Just wondering if its possible to connect an external monitor like the 24" cinema display to an imac 27" so I can use it as an extended desktop space?

Also heard something about possible 27" cinema displays coming out soon from apple.

Thanks in advance for your help and my apologies if this question has been answered before.

2. MacDeeds macrumors newbie

I believe that you can. From the apple.com website:
    Mini DisplayPort.The Mini DisplayPort lets you connect an external display, including the Apple LED Cinema Display, to your iMac. On the 27-inch iMac, the same port offers input, too. So you can connect any external source that has DisplayPort output — including a MacBook or MacBook Pro — and use your iMac as a display.

3. binbs thread starter macrumors newbie

4. tchockey macrumors member

hi
    yes it works and it works great, just hook up display port wire and usb from 24 cinema to 27 imac and wham!!!!!! that easy.
    dual displays !!!!!!

i use 24 for surfing net and to read text.
    27 for video, movies and pictures
    great combo !!!!!!!

plus great to multi task iphoto, imovie and photoshop
    good luck

hope that helps

5. garmp macrumors newbie

I have the same request. I need this: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A? and that connects to a firewire port, the other firewire on the Cinema Display to a firewire port and the USB to USB. Is this correct?

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

This connects to the Mini DisplayPort on the back of your iMac. The other end (DVI) connects to your Cinema Display.