Possible to connect Airport Express and ethernet at the same time?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by billyyw, Jan 26, 2009.

1. billyyw macrumors newbie

hey there,

i apologize if this questions has been posted previously. i searched a fair bit but was unsure if my question related to any existing threads.

is it possible to run both a wireless connection with airport express, as well as have a direct ethernet connection to the computer? i have a simple, two-way ethernet splitter than comes from the port in the wall that should technically be able to do this, but i have tried this without success and i am guessing there is a little more to this problem than just having both connections hooked up at the same time.

anyways right now i am running on an airport express wireless connection. at my school there is a campus-based p2p program that can only be accessed through direct ethernet connection, leaving me inaccessible to it when i am on my wireless connection. there is a bunch of registration junk that has to be done when i switch from ethernet to wireless, which is why i would prefer to have both set up at once.

this is what the connection looks like when i have both set up:

port----->ethernet cable to two-way splitter
    ----->one ethernet cable that goes to my airport express
    ----->one ethernet cable that goes directly to my macbook pro

so im just wondering if there are any settings that have to be adjusted or anything like that. im running on a macbook pro, with osx 10.5.6

thanks for any help you can give me!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, it's possible. I suspect the problem is related to your splitter. Have you tried using two separate ethernet ports?

3. billyyw thread starter macrumors newbie

hey there thanks for the post,

uhmm i have not tried two different ports, and this is only because each room in our residence is only equipped with one ethernet port.

the problem with what i'm trying to do is likely the little ethernet splitter i have. its nothing special and i doubt that it can handle this kind of thing.

are there any settings i could adjust in mac network settings to make this kind of thing work?

4. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Get a cheap hub and you'll be fine