Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
england
hi guys gettinga nice deal on a 27 inch TBD, and wanted to know if i could connect to my pc? I can alwayas add in a pcie card for thunderbolt but was wondering if a thunderbolt to displayport cable would work?

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
No, it only "speaks" Thunderbolt (hence the name) and thus requires the computer to do so too.

There also are no Thunderbolt-DisplayPort cables, that's just false advertisement. Those cables are just DisplayPort cables with a mini-DisplayPort connector on one end and a normal DisplayPort connector on the other end.

Reactions: PortableLover

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
england
No, it only "speaks" Thunderbolt (hence the name) and thus requires the computer to do so too.

There also are no Thunderbolt-DisplayPort cables, that's just false advertisement. Those cables are just DisplayPort cables with a mini-DisplayPort connector on one end and a normal DisplayPort connector on the other end.

Ah its active connection.

Ill leave buying the display then because i have to add in the cost of a thunderbolt pcie card!

If mods can close this would be great!

Thanks to both pf you.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
No it is not an active connection at all. The Thunderbolt port on the Mac outputs native DisplayPort as well (it is part of the Thunderbolt protocol). The cable itself is also native DisplayPort so there is absolutely no adaption at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.