Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heathd72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I have an old (5 year) Hewlett Packard laptop computer that runs Windows XP. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to wipe out the hard-drive and install Leopard in place of Windows?

Thanks,

-- Heath

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
It's certainly possible to put OS X on generic pc harware, though probably not on kit that old. Discussion of it here is permitted I believe but actual advice on how to achieve it is prohibited.

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
You can do it legally. If you have a current Mac, that is. You'd have to buy a retail version of OS X leopard and patch it on your real mac. That part is legal. The part that falls into a grey area is installing it. Although you are not breaking any copyright laws (not that you care, at least I do), you break the EULA which states that you must install it on Apple Branded hardware. I haven't done this. But it is possible. Just google OS X x86 or something like that. (the OS and the x86 parts are pretty important ;) )

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
this is the second thread i have seen today about this. its funny people want don't want to just buy a mac, they want to illegal put the core of a mac on their pc.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.