Possible to convert a PC laptop over to Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heathd72, Mar 3, 2008.

1. heathd72 macrumors newbie

I have an old (5 year) Hewlett Packard laptop computer that runs Windows XP. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to wipe out the hard-drive and install Leopard in place of Windows?

Thanks,

-- Heath

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It's certainly possible to put OS X on generic pc harware, though probably not on kit that old. Discussion of it here is permitted I believe but actual advice on how to achieve it is prohibited.

4. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

You can do it legally. If you have a current Mac, that is. You'd have to buy a retail version of OS X leopard and patch it on your real mac. That part is legal. The part that falls into a grey area is installing it. Although you are not breaking any copyright laws (not that you care, at least I do), you break the EULA which states that you must install it on Apple Branded hardware. I haven't done this. But it is possible. Just google OS X x86 or something like that. (the OS and the x86 parts are pretty important ;) )

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

this is the second thread i have seen today about this. its funny people want don't want to just buy a mac, they want to illegal put the core of a mac on their pc.....