Possible to convert iPhone to iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TahoeGuy, May 21, 2008.

1. TahoeGuy macrumors newbie

I currently have an iPhone and am planning to replace it with a new 3G iPhone when it comes out. My 5 year old would love to have a iPod touch. Is there any way to convert my existing iPhone into an iPod touch and keep it working?

My understanding is that you have to have an active subscription for the iPhone to do ANYTHING. But if you were to turn on the Airplane Mode and keep it on, it could never ping the AT&T network and presumably it would keep working. Does syncing to iTunes check for an active subscription as well?

I invested $400 in this iPhone and I'd like to get more than one year's use out of it. Can anyone offer some advice and/or insight?

Many thanks in advance!

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

If you remove the sim card it should act just like an iPod Touch.

3. Slovig macrumors member

You could give it a fresh restore, and jailbreak it, bypass activation, and just not put in a sim card.

4. andrew2345 macrumors newbie

Bypass Activation

How do you bypass activation?

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Hacktivation with either redsnow or pwnage. There might be some more programs that can do that, but I know these two definitely work.

Wow. Way to go with the thread resurrection. :rolleyes: