possible to copy music from my Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by maximus96, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

I never used itunes before and have been manually dragging mp3 files from my computer to my touch via itunes. I then edit the artist/album/cover art. After I spend all this time doing the edits, I want to see if its possible to copy all this back to my computer, with the artist/album/cover art intact because i'll be returning this week 37 when bestbuy gets new stock in. I don't want to redo all the edits again. I remember reading that i can't copy songs from that ipod that were purchased thru itunes, but all my songs are from my computer, not itunes. if its possible please let me know how this is done...

thanks

2. maximus96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maximus96

3. halfgoon macrumors newbie

Why don't you try editing the files on your computer before putting them on the touch? It will save you a lot of hassle.:)

4. maximus96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maximus96

yes that's what i'll be doing from now on. my hard drive also inconveniently crashed last night. luckily its only my windows partition not where all my data and mp3s are. but i'd hate to re-edit all the stuff i did on the touch. so is it possible to copy the mp3s back or no? i see some guides but they are tailored toward older gen ipods, not the touch.

thanks

5. maximus96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maximus96

sorry I wasn't clear before, but i need to backup to a windows machine. the link you provided seems like its for macs, thanks

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

7. maximus96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maximus96

8. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

9. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Since this is your first time using iTunes, let me give you a tip. Go in the preferences and let iTunes organize your music library automatically (unless you don't like iTunes and prefer winamp or something, in which case this won't help you much...). When you put music in iTunes it duplicates the music file and will keep it in it's database, so you can toss away the file you dragged into iTunes and iTunes' library is still safe in your hard drive. This way, you can safely edit all the music you have, and anytime you hook up your iPod it'll sync up all your music automatically just the way you want it. You do not have to worry about copying music back to the computer at all, and your old music files without the edited album art/artist info/etc you can simply throw away.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Please do not bump threads.

Repeated bumping causes one thing and one thing only: namely, threads to be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.