Possible to disable glowing Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RelievedSimplet, Nov 14, 2008.

1. RelievedSimplet macrumors member

Hello,
    Just got a new LCD TV today that has a really glossy border and noticed this annoying glare, which I thought was coming from the screen itself. Looked closely, and it's because I was using my MBP in front of the TV as well, which makes the whole border of the TV have an annoying white glow to it.
    Long story short, any way, via Software to disable the glowing Apple? I'd prefer not to toss some duct tape on it or something (I jest).

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Unfortunately there is no way to "disable" it as it shares the light from the backlight of the LCD. Try turning the brightness down of your MBP a little? You can however take the screen apart and put some aluminum foil or something inside to block the light from shining through but that will void your warranty.

3. RelievedSimplet thread starter macrumors member

Ah, thanks for the info. I suppose I'll just have to get used to the glow while using both at the same time. I'm not willing to void the warranty to get rid of the glow, sadly. Again thanks for the info.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Like he said, the glowing logo is due to the backlight of the screen, no software can disable it without disabling your screen's backlight. That leaves you with two options: 1) put a sticker over the logo, or 2) open the screen up (not the best idea) and put something in there to block it.

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

You could always just put something over it, on the outside of the case...No use opening it up for all that. Even if its just a piece of temporary paper....

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

buy a retro apple logo bumper sticker and stick it on.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Here here !! Then it will look classy and retro, and no annoying emitted light. Win win.

8. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Why don't you paint it with some high quality acrylic? Use a layer of primer, then use white.

Even your girls' fingernail polish might work, then you can take it off easier than paint, but watch the finished aluminum when applying the "remover".