Possible to disable QuickLook Zoom Animation?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Nov 27, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Is it possible to disable QuickLook's zoom animation? I don't like it when my folders zoom, so I would also like turning off QuickLook's zoom too.

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

Um, you are asking twice if you can turn off the zoom? in Quicklook. Do you mean how when you press the spacebar the item in question sort of pops out at you?

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I mean the zooming ANIMATION that happens when you use QuickLook. I turned off the zooming Finder windows and I was wondering if there was a similar trick to turning off the QuickLook zoom?

4. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

I bet you'd also like doors in real life to go from closed to open instantly, without motion in between.

Kidding.

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I just think the zooming looks cheesy. I can understand the zooming effect of a window going to the Dock so you know where that window landed but, having a zoom effect to view a QuickLook item just looks weird. When you open a file, the Application window doesn't ZOOM to the front now does it?

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

If you are launching an app from a folder, the app icon sort of flies toward you, the dock icon bounces... things happen.

The zoom animation takes half a second and lets you know what you are quicklooking.

7. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, I know the icon zooms but, it's more subtle and elegant. Also, I turned off Dock bouncing too. The Application's window doesn't zoom at you when you open it. Safari windows don't zoom open or closed or even fade. I don't need to see where my windows are coming from, I just wanna see the end result. Plus, waiting for the window to zoom takes a second or so, when turning it off, the folder just POPs into view instantly. And don't try to tell me it's the same amount of time because it's not.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The OP has got too much time on his hands. Time to USE the OS and get work done. You'd be really be annoyed if you were running Vista with all it's unnecessary animations. You may be able to find haxies around the web to turn off certain features in Leopard but you might end up rendering it unstable.

You have to get over the fact that your computer is just a business tool. We are on our computers so much it would certainly be boring if the OS wasn't fun to use. Just enjoy. ;)

9. MBX macrumors 65816

not sure how that quick transition of quicklook bothers you. i think it's elegant, minimal and gives you a bit of the core animation flair.
    i would understand your rant if it was bloated with stupid unnecessary effect like glows and smoke.

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What bothers you and what doesn't bother you isn't my concern. Please don't turn this thread into "Why don't you like it"? I have my personal preferences and I find the zoom animation cheesy and I want it turned off. I don't think that's being too picky. I've eliminated zooming everywhere else.

11. Gherkin macrumors 6502

yea, sounds like everyone in here is being a little Mac-baby. If the guy doesn't like the zoom, he doesn't like it.

12. TheStu macrumors 65816

No, you can't have it not turn into that... jeez... its like we are in a real forum...

However, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot turn the zooming off, I wouldn't even know where to look for it either.

13. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It just seems like a lot of people like to attack me because of my tastes and quite frankly I'm sick of people saying "Why don't you like this, it's great!" and "I never had a problem so I think you have too much time on your hands." - Those are just examples and not actual quotes. It gets tiring having people tell me that Apple is always right and they always make the right decisions so I should just trust them and deal with whatever they do. I still have the right to not like something that Apple does. If I wanted to talk about what animations people liked, I would have labeled the thread "Who actually likes the zoom animations in the Finder?" or something similar. I'm not trying to start a war, I just wanted one simple questioned answered hoping there was someone smarter than me at hacking the system to disable the QuickLook zoom in a similar way that people have disabled the Finder zoom, the info panel sliding and even icon snap to grid animations. Apparently nobody wants to help me find a way, instead they come back with "Why would you want to do that?"... that doesn't help.

14. MBX macrumors 65816

look no problem if you don't like that quick transition. i just think there are bigger fish to fry than miliseconds of an ui-animation (that in my opinion is quite nice, but of course you don't have to agree).

i'm glad we're able to change the dock, otherwise that would've been more of a concern on the ui-front imho.

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

Jeebus... i was being sarcastic in the first line.

And I told you
    A: I don't know if you can turn off the animation
    B: I wouldn't know where to look to turn it off

How did you construe that into me starting a war?

16. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Hmm... hard to tell sarcasm on the internet.

Anyways, I made a new discovery. If you click on an icon in your sidebar and don't click on any other files in that folder... you can then hit the space bar and the QuickLook dialog will fade in rather than zoom! I MUCH PREFER the fade in effect, it looks so much nicer.

17. seashellz macrumors 6502

id like to disable the g*damn thing too!
    I hate that it pops up unwelcome if I should by accident hit the wrong key
    you can disable widgets spotlight-absolutely useless waste of CPU/
    bloatware I use easyfind-as spotlight is no use to me you type a word as is-or with parameters-and it find all instances, including invisible files

So dont be idiots-either help the guy out or shut up

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think it's possible to disable it without diving into the code, which nobody wants to do.

19. cubikbiskit macrumors newbie

rant

I have trudged the web now for hours looking for a way to disable quicklook.

Here is a real-world situation: we have a Quantum tape archive, it's a stornext volume. If we accidentally hit the space bar on a file (whilst in the finder on a mac running 10.6.4) quicklook will attempt to display the file. This will effectively request a restore of the 'quicklooked' file on the stornext volume. I can go into much more detail about this - basically quicklook causes a lot of issues in our environment.

I have tried using launchd to unload com.apple.quicklook.plist - fail. I am now left with attempting to either chmod the quicklook generators or move them. I know that chmoding them will be problematic because we very often run a repair permissions - which will undo the chmod. I could create a script triggered by launchd to chmod on a reboot or every hour or something.. this is not very succinct.

Apple offer a great environment - one size does not fit all - we all need to occasionally prune the apple tree.

Lastly, I really wish that d!cks like most of you in this forum would simply answer a question. If you can't answer a question - don't reply. I guess I too am being one for replying without an answer >/dev/null 2>&1