Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Think

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard that I want to share between a PC and MBP via a DVI/USB KVM switch. I think I can do this by plugging a USB Bluetooth dongle into the KVM's USB input.

If I use the MBP's built-in bluetooth then when I switch from one computer to the other via the KVM, the keyboard and mouse will stay paired with the MBP; but if I disable the built-in hardware then the dongle can provide the bluetooth capability and be switched between the computers.

Can it be done? Is my logic sound?

Thanks

AuroraProject

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2008
Right there
Just turn the MBP Bluetooth off, then setup the usb dongle.

Edit: now that you've edited, I'm not sure that would work, but it wont hurt to try. Turn off the MBP Bluetooth and connect the usb dongle to the kvm, then see if the MBP sees it.

Think

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Just following up in case anyone finds their way here via search with a similar question.

I'm using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse from logitech and I'm able to use a KVM switch to swap the bluetooth dongle between my desktop PC and my MBP. The MBP picks up the mouse and keyboard upon connection with the dongle and drops them when it is removed. Very nice :D

truthsmiles

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks, but one question...

Thanks for the update - I'm going to try this setup with my MacBook Pro and HP laptop sharing a central VGA display and my Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

One question, though: when you say "...drops them when it is removed..." - what exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean that mac drops the connection when the dongle is removed from the KVM input? Or when you press the magic key combination to switch computers?

Thanks....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.