Possible to do a clean install using a Snow Leopard Upgrade Disk?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cathyy, Mar 17, 2010.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Okay umm, I have an early 08 MBP that shipped with Leopard. I upgraded it to Snow Leopard quite a long time ago. I feel like doing a clean reinstallation but my Leopard disk is spoilt.

Is it possible for me to do a brand new clean installation just using that Snow Leopard upgrade disk? Thanks.

2. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

yes.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, it depends on if that disc is a drop-in DVD that came with the Mac, or a retail disc. The answer is yes if it's a retail disc and no otherwise.

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

The word "upgrade" is just for licensing purposes. The retail Snow Leopard discs are fully capable of doing a clean install.

The OP said his computer came with Leopard and it was an '08 Macbook Pro. He got a retail disc for sure.

5. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

You can drop the disk in, go into Disk Utility and format the disk before installing, so yes :)

6. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay yup, finished installing it. First thing I noticed was that it was missing the "Mactintosh HD" on the desktop, but I found an article describing how to fix it.

Secondly I'm missing my iLife suite. I read around and it said that I could reinstall it by inserting my Leopard DVDs and manually installing them, however as I said, my first disk is damaged. My sister has a Macbook which was shipped with Leopard too. Is it possible that I install it using her CD? Or is there some licensing issue?

Thanks.

PS: I'm not a guy. :)

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

No. Restore discs are machine specific. If your second restore disc works, iLife should be on there.

8. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm thanks. I inserted the first disk first to stat off the installation, but thankfully the part that it needed to read wasn't damaged. After that I swapped to the 2nd disc and it installed fine. :)