Possible to downgrade 64 bit to 32 bit time machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Extra Crispy, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Extra Crispy macrumors newbie

Does time machine have backwards capabity restoring from 64 bit to a 32 bit mac? I have a late 2012mbp 64 bit 15" computer. I want to create a mirror backup of this computer on a MacBook unibody from 2008 32 bit. I'm a dj and basically I don't want to perform with the newer computer because they feel flimsy compared to the older Macs and I don't want to damage it.

I'm considering upgrading the memory to 6 or 8 gigs and I must upgrade the hd so that both computers have 256 ssd. My concern is there will be issues going backwards from 64 to 32 and so I am hesitant to invest the money. I might buy a used mbp that already has a sufficient hd size instead of using my old mbp.

Thanks in advance for the advice

2. simsaladimbamba

Check if the late 2008 MacBook supports OS X 10.9 Mavericks. But also know, that it is a 64 bit machine, as every other Core 2 Duo Mac. You either need to find a Core Duo or Core Solo Mac, on which OS X 10.9 Mavericks will not run.

3. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Mavericks (and Mountain Lion) also require 64-bit EFI, not just 64-bit CPU. That's the main differentiator for older C2D Macs.
    First Unibody MBPs (C2D, late 2008) do fit the bill and can run Mavericks.

4. Extra Crispy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I was confused. My 2012 late MBP is a quad core and my unibody MB late 2008 is a core 2 duo. Do you think that will affect the MBs ability to run my time machined Mac on mountain lion?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since Maverick's specifications are for late 2007 MBP and beyond, your older Mac can run OSX (See the specs). Why not just download Mavericks from the app store under your account on the older MBP?

Anyways, first make sure your 2008 MBP is backed up, and TM should be ok with restoring the system, but I think the safer route is install Mavericks and then do the restore.