Possible to downgrade to Lion on 2011 Mac Mini?

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
So I got the Core i5 Mac Mini in August of last year. Been a good computer, but I am having some issues with Lion. My Hamachi/Logmein VPN server doesn't work with it as do a few other programs. In an attempt to downgrade to Snow Leopard by inserting my retail Snow Leopard disk into an external DVD drive, it kernel panics. A genius said due to firmware I can't downgrade? :(

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
As far as I know, that is correct!
You can only downgrade if your mini came originally installed with snow leopard.

Cmd-the-World

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
So I got the Core i5 Mac Mini in August of last year. Been a good computer, but I am having some issues with Lion. My Hamachi/Logmein VPN server doesn't work with it as do a few other programs. In an attempt to downgrade to Snow Leopard by inserting my retail Snow Leopard disk into an external DVD drive, it kernel panics. A genius said due to firmware I can't downgrade? :(
There is a hack somewhere on the net and on this forum where you can downgrade. I haven't done it myself and I don't know what it consists but if you search the forum you would find what you want.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
There is a hack somewhere on the net and on this forum where you can downgrade. I haven't done it myself and I don't know what it consists but if you search the forum you would find what you want.
Could I remove the hard drive from the mini, put it on my external enclosure and install Snow Leopard on it from my Macbook, then put it back in the Mini?