Possible to download a wiki?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm going on holiday in a couple of months with no internet connection for 2 weeks. It's all good except I need access to a wiki. Not a giant wikipedia-like monster, but is it possible to download a smallish (probably few hundred pages) static, offline one?
    I did a little googling around but I couldn't find anything.

I ask because a few years ago a guy at college did a similar thing for a bunch of wikipedia articles so I imagine the apps (or whatever) to do this have only got better.

2. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

I've never done it, but a coworker has used the "wget" command in Linux to accomplish this. Obviously, it works better with websites that are static in nature with links that don't lead to dynamically generated content. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if there are tools that can handle dynamic content.

I'm not sure what the Mac equivalent is, but that command might work too.

Of course, Safari has a "Save As" command under the File menu which will save as a web archive. So you could do it manually if you know the actual pages you want to save. The problem with this approach is that each web page is stand-alone.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

4. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

I've used SiteSucker, too. For some reason, I found Blue Crab Lite better. Maybe because it's freeware.

Plus, I think the developer has a great business model. I hope he makes a fortune.

mt

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Thanks all! Blue Crab Lite sounds like it will do the job just fine.