Possible to exchange 3 day old MBP w/o restocking fee?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sn0warmy, Jun 12, 2010.

1. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I bought a 15" MBP with the glossy screen at a local Apple store 3 days ago and I've realized that the glare is killing me. I'm curious if Apple would allow me to exchange this one for another with the hi-res/anti glare screen without charging me a restocking fee. Obviously I plan on paying the ~$150 extra for these features.

Have any of you tried this?

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

It's possible, but the likely hood of them doing that is based on how nice of an apple store you go to.

4. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

That's kind of what I figured. Hopefully they are feeling nice tomorrow.:)

5. revbarabbas macrumors regular

I agree...if they try to charge you a restocking fee raise a stink...they should knock it off since you're already getting an antiglare screen for more money.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Because you're upgrading perhaps they'll be more inclined to do so.

7. apple.gr macrumors regular

Do they have in store the base 15" (which the OP has) with high res antiglare?

If they have it, I believe that they will not charge you extra!!!

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You should be fine since you're upgrading but just to be safe I recommend that you explain to them that the glossy is giving you headaches due to your eyes trying to focus on the screen content through the glare and you should be good with getting the restocking fee waived. :)

9. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

haha, excellent piece of advice.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm definitely going to go in and try to exchange it today. I'm sick of straining to read text on the screen through the silhouette of myself.:)

10. Reapur macrumors regular

Pretty sure the restocking fee is only if you are returning the computer outright. With an exchange there should be no fee.

11. sn0warmy thread starter macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I went in and asked to exchange for the hi-res antiglare and it turns out that Apple retail stores stock the core i7 15" hi-res anti glare but they don't stock the i5 versions. They said they would do the exchange and wave the restocking fee if I upgraded to the 15" i7 hi-res anti glare for $2,300.

I can't justify paying $500 more for that computer. And if I payed the restocking fee and ordered the i5 hi-res antiglare online then it would still total out to ~$450. It looks like I'm stuck with the glossy screen. Should have spent more time deciding before I made the purchase.:)

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can always buy a MacBook Anti-Glare Screen Protector, quite a bit less than $450-500.

13. sadcamper macrumors regular

I returned 2 imac's recently...no restocking fee. I'm assuming you could just get a refund if the exchange policy involves a fee(?)

edit - I should also mention that the imac's had issues, so it wasn't just because I changed my mind...if that makes any difference.

14. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I did it at Best Buy 4 times in one day.... You have to talk pissy with the manager :D
    But in my case, ALL of them had scratches out of the box. I doubt you'll be able to for two reasons: 1) There is nothing wrong with it; you bought a glossy mbp and got a glossy mbp. If there is something wrong with it (like a scratch or imperfection) you might be able to get away with an exchange or store credit. 2) It is apple, so I figure there is less leniency than Best Buy.

15. apple.gr macrumors regular

Why don't you call Apple and explain the situation! Tell them also for the terrible headaches you had;)

Maybe they will help you and let you do the exchange!

16. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Just go to the store and be nice, then they will be glad to exchange w/o the restocking fee...