Possible to exchange 38mm for 42mm?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by justjax, Jul 26, 2015.

1. justjax macrumors regular

I understand I can return my watch if I'm not happy with it. I thought it was 30 days but looks like it might be 14 in the UK. Anyway, what is the policy if I want to exchange it rather than return it?

I got the 38mm on Sat and it feels like its too small, can barely type in my passcode without hitting the wrong numbers. Do I have to pretend I just want to return the 38mm, get a refund and then buy the 42mm from scratch or can I actually go into the store tell them I got the wrong size and I want the 42mm and they'll happily exchange it and charge me the difference etc?

2. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Go to Apple store. Tell them you'd like to exchange for 42. That's all.

3. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Yep they'll be happy to exchange. They'd much rather you walk out with an Apple Watch than a refund.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

However, the UK is a totally different animal when it comes to this stuff, despite their "customer protection laws." What's customary in one area may not be so customary in another.

We had a thread the other day in which a UK Apple Store balked at swapping out an obvious defect. That'd never happen here in the U.S.

5. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

True. But, if the OP bought it on Saturday, it's an easy exchange.

6. shortcrust macrumors 6502

I'm in the UK and consumer protection is pretty strong. Not replacing an item with an obvious defect is down to individual ignorance or incompetence rather than a lack of regulation. The laws are complex (as ever) but in practice with gadgets and the like if an item's faulty within the first year it gets repaired or replaced. In the first few weeks you can just reject the item and insist on a refund. There's shouldn't need to be a debate about it.

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

But such laws can backfire. In the other thread, UK Apple Store was apparently refusing to replace it because it was the seller's responsibility (by law) to replace it. Here in the U.S., you can buy it anywhere and the Apple Store will be happy to swap it out as long as it's under warranty.

8. psylence2k macrumors 6502

What type of defect was it ? Do you remember the thread ?

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

10. SG94 macrumors member

SG94

Hello everyone.
    Just joined today to post on this thread.

You should have no trouble, I exchanged a sport for SS on Friday with no issues, just paid the difference.

I thought they would 'refurb' the one I was returning, I was a little surprised to find that it actually gets destroyed, with only a few parts being recovered for repair!

11. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

I exchanged the 38 for the 42 at the Apple Store within the 14-day window and had no problem whatsoever. I would swap the watch if I were you and wouldn't give it a second thought.