Possible to exchange a store bought 13" MBP by mail?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pugple, Jul 4, 2009.

1. pugple macrumors member

I bought a 13" 2.53 GHz Macbook Pro on June 15. I exchanged it for a new one on June 25th because the graphics would randomly distort. I didn't have the box for the first one so I did a laptop for laptop direct exchange.

I noticed two small dents on the bottom right corner on the bottom case a few days ago and took it to the Apple Store to exchange again (still within 14 days) because I am certain that I did not cause them. The laptop has been sitting on my desk or in a padded sleeve in a padded laptop compartment.

The store manager at the Apple store was incredibly rude. He kept stating that the laptop could not have left the box with the two dents. I mentioned getting a laptop for laptop exchange and he again said there was no way it would've left the box like that. He was also incredibly surprised that I just noticed the dents. I don't do anything that needs the laptop to have the bottom case facing up. I only noticed it when I decided to wipe down the entire laptop. He said they didn't have any of the 2.53GHz 13" MBP to exchange with me and again mentioned how unlikely it was that I just found the dents and that it came out of the store like that. I was kinda annoyed at this point because it felt like he was saying that I caused the dents.. which I definitely didn't. I told him exactly that and he got very aggressive and repeatedly asked "Did I say that?" I asked for his business card and he went away to get one, gave it to me, and then walked away.

It seems most Apple stores are out of the 2.53 13" MBP. Would my best option be to call and arrange for an exchange by mail? Which number would I call for that? AppleCare? I have the box for the original laptop and the new laptop.. would that complicate thing?

I am very disappointed and annoyed at the treatment by the manager. When I got back home, I looked at the card... it wasn't even his! He got very aggressive at the end and while he never directly said he thought I did it... he did everything but. I really did not cause the dents and it's very frustrating when someone keeps saying that the laptop would've never left the store in that condition and that it was unlikely that I had just noticed the dents. There's another Apple store in town that is further away, I think i'll be going to that one from now on... (They don't have the laptop in stock either :( ).

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yes, you could call Applecare their contact information is available on their website here. Apple does not typically like to give replacements and would rather repair it if possible and since this damage is cosmetic it is typically caused by use rather than a factory defect.

You're best course of action may be to ask that the bottom casing be replaced. The repairs do not usually take very long and it would solve the issue.

3. pugple thread starter macrumors member

Mine is still within 14 days though?

edit: I talked about this with the manager (my suggestion as I'd rather not transfer data to a new hard drive again). He said they could do that but they would not cover any damages if they occurred under those dents... As I did not make these dents, that choice is unacceptable to me.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

While I sympathize with you, think about it from the manager's side. It's your word vs. his. You claim you didn't cause the dents, but have no way to prove it. It's Apple's policy that accidental damage isn't covered; but that's exactly what you're asking no matter how many times you tell them you didn't cause any damage. You shouldn't really expect this to be an easy process...

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Hmm, you could try sending an email to sjobs@apple.com and say that you feel that you are being treated unfairly and disrespected by the Genius and you would like to have a replacement computer because of the damages. I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but it is rather hard to believe that you didn't inspect the computer on the first day and notice the damage then. And that amount of time would be enough to dent a computer under normal usage, I'm sure that is the Genius's line of thinking. I think that sjobs would be more likely to side with you.

6. pugple thread starter macrumors member

I realize I can't really prove that I didn't do it... but I honestly 100% believe I did not dent it. It's either been on a wooden desk or been very padded the 2 hrs I had it in an empty backpack. The first day I got the laptop, I used it. The bottom case was against the desk. I've never had reason to look at the bottom case until I was cleaning it.

If I felt that I had dented it then I wouldn't exchange it since it's my fault. It's just really aggravating to know I didn't do it and not really be able to do anything about it.

I'll give that email a try though I guess.