Possible to exchange my iPhone 4S today for different color?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnkbro, Oct 14, 2011.

1. dnkbro macrumors regular

I purchased a white iPhone 4S online via AT&T. IT just arrived and it's black. Is it possible to exchange it today either at AT&T store or Apple? Which do you guys recommend?

2. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

*Update* just spoke with my local corporate AT&T store. Guy said they would charge me a $35 restocking fee to exchange it for a different color even though i haven't even opened the box yet. :confused: Wtf? Someone with experience please provide information. This doesn't sound right.

3. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

If they sent you the wrong product, they need to switch it for free. Talk to Apple, I'm sure they would help you and can trace it by serial number. If you ordered black and wanted white, that's your fault. But, again, sounds like they messed up. Call Apple :)

4. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

did you bring the paperwork that showed you ordered a white phone?

restocking fee should apply to only open box item

5. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

I would go to the store with my receipt and show it was their error and not mine, they shouldn't charge you the restocking fee.

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

No one here is going to give you an answer that will solve this for you. Grab your receipt and go to the store...

7. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Second guessing my white 4s. Since I bought from apple.com could I take it to my local store and exchanged for black? Has not been opened.

8. drober30 macrumors 6502a

And you should charge AT&T hassle fee of $35.;)

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

LOL! :D

Very true...

10. YouKnow760 macrumors newbie

11. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

I ordered the phone online via AT&T.com when preorders started. It took hours for it to go through. My actual receipt shows the black one even though I picked white (whether it was a glitch or an error I don't know). Either way, I don't see how I would get charged $35 for an unopened item when I just want a different color.

12. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

Yes, may have to pay a restocking fee though..

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

Well, the receipt says black, so its going to be hard to argue that you ordered a white one. You may have to dish out the $35 if you want a white one. Heck, if they making you pay $35, then open the black one and use it for 13 or 29 days (not sure if its 14 days or 30 days) THEN take it back. That way you will get your $35 put to use.

14. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

:mad:

I think I would have better luck going through Apple than AT&T. Either way this is seriously not right.

15. highertechnology macrumors 6502

Apple will absolutely resolve this for you. One of the many reasons for the line out the door.......and around the mall.

16. Pravius macrumors regular

I have a friend that works for an at and t store. Just sent a text and he said as long as it is unopened you can return or exchange within 30 days.

17. dnkbro thread starter macrumors regular

I'm definitely going to go this route. Seems like their customer service is much better.

Did he say anything about the restocking fee though? The guy told me 30 days as well, but said he would charge a $35.00 restocking fee regardless of it was opened/unopened.