Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerph32

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Got my new MBP and would like to migrate my geektool settings over (many hours spent creating different desktops!)

Any tips?

kerph32

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Ha, yes I see that now. I hadn't bothered to click on each individual box.

Well, now that I have that, I guess I want to be greedy and ask if there's a way to "export all" ? Or, does anyone know where the geektool 'system files' are stored on the HD? I searched with spotlight and couldn't find them.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
This pref file seems to have most of it,
Code:
~/Library/Preferences/org.tynsoe.geeklet.shell.plist
There are 2 other geektool pref files in here, but the above one seemed to have the actual shell commands. I'm not sure if it remembers everything though. Good place to start though.

woo37830

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
Additional files

You will find the actual scripts and layout files in
~/Library/Preferences/org.tynsoe.*

Move them from one machine to another. If your scripts are also moved to the same location on a new machine ( both macs, of course ), then when you start Geek Tool, the layouts will appear ( if enabled, of course ).

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Know this is quite an old post....

...but you guys saved me arse!

Brand new 5k Retina iMac and I lost all my GeekTool settings from the previous iMac.

Fortunately everything was backed up on an external drive.

Did a search on how to restore GeekTool settings and images and found this post.

Your instructions worked PERFECTLY

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.