Possible to extend wifi a few feet?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tryppy, Nov 26, 2007.

1. tryppy macrumors member

Hey guys,

First thing I want to do is make this clear. I don't need any kind of Wifi extender for my internet connection but I am wondering if anyone out there has any kind of Macgyver solution for this.

One of the major places I try to use this Ipod Touch is at work. The wifi signal here is locked but I do see an unlocked one I can use. This works perfectly if I am 3 feet from my desk.

Sitting at my desk I am unable to see the signal. I was wondering if there is some kind of trick or device I could use to boost it a few more feet to my desk. Attach some sort of home made antenna?

(I can't alway walk away to use it, nor can i move my desk lol)

Thank you for your time & any responses.

2. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

3. goldypoker macrumors member

I havent seen any products designed to increase the range/sensitivity of the wifi reception on the touch.
    The only thing I can suggest is to tap into the unsecured wi-fi with a signal repeater (at the "3 feet away from my desk" location), this should provide you with strong signal at your desk............

4. goldypoker macrumors member

LOL....:D

5. Chuckypool macrumors member

presumably you eat the pringles first....?

6. tryppy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys :p
    I'll have to do some research on this repeater business =]

7. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Antenna on the Cheap (er, Chip)

linky

Inexpensive solution cost 'bout $8 or £ 4 or € 5.40
    pic:

Attached Files:

8. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

9. tryppy thread starter macrumors member

^ This won't work in my situation as the Signal is not mine.

10. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I wouldn't have admitted that.:D

11. tryppy thread starter macrumors member

^ Why not. I mentioned it in my initial post as well. If people want to leave their boxes open people are going to use them. It's a fact. This is one of the major reasons why we can access as many "hot-spots" as we do.

We've all done it. Or would do it in a pinch

12. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I realize you said it in the initial post, but I still would not have said it. There are a lot of people around who would classify it as stealing. I'm not going to get involved discussion of morals, I was simply saying some people won't help you because it could be conceived as stealing.

13. Mapbry macrumors newbie

What i would do...

With my Ipod Touch when i attempt to to access a wifi server and it gives me one signal strength bar on the list of avalible ports i connect to one and i then have full signal strength can you connect and then walk to your desk with it connected and still have some signal strenght?

14. tryppy thread starter macrumors member

^ unfortunately not.. Once I have a connection a few feet from my desk (only a couple bars but works well enough) it disappears as soon as I walk away and sit down.

15. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

16. tryppy thread starter macrumors member

^ thanks for the reply but as stated in my first post. That is not an option :\

17. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

A lot of people get better wifi (and wireless phone) coverage by sticking their iPhone in the dock. Maybe a dock for the iPod would increase its efficiency. Apparantly its something to do with the angle it rests at, if you could try to mimic that.

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

19. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I think one would be hard-pressed to define it as stealing. When one leaves their network open it can only be because they don't mind other people using it. The best analogy I can think of is when people put stuff on their lawn with a sign on it that says 'free'.

20. eLMafUDd macrumors newbie

Although we have all done it, that analogy is just silly. A better one would be if somebody left their door unlocked and you walked in thinking: "They left it unlocked they must want to be robbed."

As for the OP, the only thing I can think of would be a signal repeater, or ask the IT person for the password to your company's one.

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't think the law has a specific answer yet as to if sharing or leaching off of wifi is legal. Some internet service providers may have a problem with people sharing their internet access with others for free but, there definitely shouldn't be anything wrong with someone accessing it because there is no password. The person who left it unlocked is inviting people to use it, besides, how are you supposed to know whether someone is leaving it unlocked so that it can be public or if they left it unlocked on accident because they're stupid?

What about all those people walking around with laptops and iPhones and iPod touch's??? Am I supposed to see a hotspot on my iPod touch and then think to myself... well, it's not locked but, it just says Belkin... how am I supposed to tell what is free and what is unauthorized free?

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/080805widernet.html?page=1