Possible to Factory Unlock after shipped?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kayan, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Kayan macrumors 6502

Just thought of a question about when AT&T's exclusivity agreement ends with Apple...when the exclusivity is over and all future iPhones are easily changed from carrier to carrier depending on the user's preference, will it also be the case that Apple/AT&T will provide some way to "Factory Unlock" (or the equivalent) all of the existing iPhones that have already been sold? Like if I have an iPhone4 that is bound to AT&T, let's suppose that the exclusivity ends next year, which means that by the time I fulfill my 2-year contract with AT&T, I would theoretically be able to switch carriers "no questions" asked correct? So my question is would Apple be able to factory unlock all iPhones through a firmware update? Or would it require the users to type in a number then press Send (as the procedure is for other phones)? Maybe the iPhones would need to be taken to an Apple/AT&T store? Or would they not allow ANY previous iPhones to be factory unlocked since they were purchased under an exclusive condition. Lots of speculation here, but I'd like thoughts from those more familiar in the procedures that a factory unlock requires (seeing as I don't even know what's different about the factory unlock and the ultrasn0w besides with the latter you need to worry about updates, etc.)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, all US iPhones are locked to AT&T and neither Apple or AT&T will officially unlock them. Even when you fulfilled your contract or bought it full price.
    Noone knows if or when US iPhones will ever be unlocked or sold unlocked or when the exclusive agreement will be over and if it makes any difference.

3. Kayan thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm well aware that this is the case at the present time, but I'm asking what you think will happen when the exclusivity ends? Then will they officially unlock if contract is fulfilled? If so, would it be as simple as a FW update or is a factory unlock more complicated/low level?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Highly doubt it but you never know.
    Hope they surprise us.
    I'm sure many factory unlocked i4's will be brought in the US thru Canada, Mexico and all other countries that sell them officially unlocked.