Possible to get DVR to my macs HD?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Simgar988, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

My DVR doesn't have nearly enough room on it to store all I would like to. I was wondering if there was a way that I could "burn" or "rip" (or whatever you'd like to call it) the content on my dvr to my computers harddrive for later viewing.

thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

To my knowledge, the only DVR that has the capability you described, without hacking, is the TiVo. If you have a TiVo, then it is a simple process, if not, you are likely limited to recording the videos to a VHS Tape for future viewing.

TEG

3. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

If it's DirecTV then no. There is no way to get the content off your DVR. I really wish there was because I have stuff on mine that is not available anywhere else and I know one day I'm going to lose it.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As almost always, more information is needed to give a proper assessment of the problem.

Has the DVR a USB or Firewire or any other port, that might connect it to a computer?

Is the DVR capable of burning the contents to DVD?

What specific DVR are you talking about, as there are "some" out there and the differ in their capabilities?
    Also what Mac do you have and what Mac OS X version is on it.

5. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

it will be cable, and as far as i know ill be needing to rent a cable box from my cable company. If i get a tivo, will i need to rent the box, or is it the exact same thing?

Please elaborate a bit more on how Tivo is able to do this. Thanks

in response to the above post:

its the standard HD cable box that my cable company rents out to me for like 10 bucks a month. I don't think it is anything special and am pretty sure its lacking a usb port etc.

I have 15" macbook pro unibody w/ 10.5

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

A TiVo HD (or HDXL) can utilize a card you get from the cable company to get all of your Digital and Encrypted channels that you normally use their box for. A Series 2, can control a cable or satellite box through the built-in serial port on the box, or via IR. The TiVo HD had HD capability, and the Series 2 is SD Only.

There are several Open Source products that enable you to download and decode TiVo files for general use on your computer. TiVo itself has a deal with Roxio to allow Toast and Popcorn to download, play, and decode TiVo files. However, Toast and Popcorn also include software to play the files without decoding them. You can also store the original .tivo files on your computer, and copy them back to the TiVo for viewing on your TV.

This is all done over your home network, either wired or wireless. The one drawback to TiVo is that it only allows one download at a time, so it is somewhat time consuming, but if you have a nice queue going, your computer can be decoding files while downloading the next.

I've had TiVo since September of 2005 and I love it. I have yet to jump into the TiVo HD, as I only have one HDTV, and only limited cable, but I then when I move to my next place, and get better cable, I will do it.

TEG

7. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

thanks Teg, your response has been very helpful

From my understanding, there is like a 12$ a month subscription. What does this give you? Do you have to pay it in order to use the tivo?

I see there are a bunch of on demand features, such as netflix, blockbuster, etc. Im assuming those aren't free, but are any of those ondemand services on the tivo free? If I get lets say netflix streaming, can i download those movies?

can i change the .tivo files to .mp4, .avi etc. What cords am i gonna need to get the media from my tivo to my computer. I read something about some like sci port or something. How long does it take to download a movie?

thanks

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The subscription is $12/month for your first TiVo, then $9/month for each additional TiVo. The cost is for the season pass system, the guide, the constant software updates, the ability to copy videos, and the website (where you can program your TiVo if you want). Netflix, Blockbuster, and Amazon are all separate subscriptions, however the TiVo does allow you to download video podcasts to watch on your TV, and various other free content. Netflix and Blockbuster are streaming services, whereas Amazon has a streaming component, you can also purchase your videos and watch them on any TiVo owned by you.

The TiVo does all of this over a network. The network is also how you would copy the videos from the TiVo. You can either use the built in Webpages, the Open-Source Downloaders, or Toast/Popcorn's Interface to download your videos. Some of the Open Source Downloaders, like iTiVo, will do the downloading, decoding, and converstion to MP4 (for AppleTV or iPod/iPhone) all at once. A typical 1hr show in SD is 700MB, so it takes between 20 and 50 minutes to download, depending on the network. HD Shows are going to be 4-6 times as large.

For the compatibility and versatility that TiVo offers, and at the price, I have yet to find anything I would rather use.

TEG

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I have both an older TiVo and two Comcast DVRs. There's been plenty of talk about the TiVo stuff, which is all easy. The Comcast DVRs do have a firewire port which you can use to transfer stuff to your hard drive. But there's a catch...you can only capture it live as it plays, and it's captured as a video file. You can't just transfer your favorite episodes of "Jersey Shore" over as files themselves. In the end, the TiVo is probably easier.

10. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

If you want to DVR to your Mac directly from your cable line EyeTV is pretty good The hardware costs a little over 100 bucks to plug a usb powered TV tuner into the port. If you have a GPU that can do TV output you can watch it on a normal set. I am using FIOs though currently and figuring out how to sync everything with a ZephIR IR blaster and a 4 dollar rental cable box since FIOS is all digital but under most analog cable systems DVRing with EyeTV is rather simple if you are willing to shell out a few bucks for the hardware.