Possible to get iphone 3Gs without extending contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kenzembo1, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

There are so many threads dedicated to finding creative ways to get the new iphone 3Gs at the subsidized pricing (ie. $199/$299)...my question is: Is it possible to get the new iphone 3Gs without signing a new 2-yr. contract with AT&T?

I'm asking this because I am a current 3G owner, and eligible to receive the $399/$499 (16 GB and 32 GB) pricing for the new iphone 3Gs. My logic is that I could sell my current 16 GB iphone 3G (which is in outstanding condition) for near $400, then post the extra $100 or so to upgrade to the new 32 GB 3Gs.

The only reason that I am hesitant to eBay my current model and pre-order the 32 GB 3Gs is the fact that I will have to sign a new 2 yr. agreement (inevitably making it more difficult to upgrade in the future)...in other words, it's worth the extra $100 for me to upgrade the storage space, but if I have to sign a new contract with AT&T, then I suppose I'll just wait until my contract ends next year and purchase the next installment.

If I can upgrade without signing a new 2-yr. contract with AT&T and simply pay the $399/$499 price tag for the 3Gs, then I would place an order ASAP!

Anyone know if this is possible? :confused:

2. The General macrumors 601

Yes. Buy it for $599/$699 with their "no commitment pricing".

3. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm...I guess that's an option. That's quite a chuck of change, but I guess it's a better route than signing an new contract. Would I then still be able to keep my current plan/rate no questions asked?

Are there any other options? :apple:

4. The General macrumors 601

That is the only option. How is it better than signing a new contract? You're going to have a phone for the next 2 years at least, anyway...

5. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is that I'll probably make a habit of upgrading the iphone hardware every summer (as a new model comes out), so if I upgrade to the 3Gs I don't plan having it for the full 2 years...so I guess what I'm really asking is: What's the most cost-efficient method of upgrading to the newest version each year without changing your contract?

If I don't change the terms of my contract, I'll be eligible to get next year's model at the subsidized price and then start a new plan. Things are complicated now, because I share a family plan with my sister and if I were to upgrade, it would mess things up (she has the 3G also) and I would have to pay early termination fees to get out of my contract when I get out of school and decide to get my own plan and "succeed" from the family plan so-to-speak.

6. joekun macrumors regular

That's "secede". Stay in school. Don't do drugs :D

7. The General macrumors 601

The most cost effective way of getting the new iPhone every year is to pay the early upgrade cost of the phone every summer, which is $399/$499.

8. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha that's fair but if you want to discuss grammar, technically you did misplace the period in your first sentence. Your statement should read as follows,

That's "secede." Stay in school. Don't do drugs. :rolleyes: