Possible to get previous model MBP in Apple retail locations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BIS2, Jun 21, 2012.

1. BIS2 macrumors regular

When a new laptop comes out, what does Apple do with the old ones in the stores? As soon as the new MacBook Pros were released, did they send the old versions back to Apple right away or might it be possible to pick up the previous version in a store?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The older models are removed from the stores when a new model is released. You might have some success finding the model you want in the Apple Refurb Store.

3. BIS2 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I figured. I'll probably do refurb I was just curious if I might be able to get one faster!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use refurb.me to be alerted when the model you want shows up in the Refurb Store.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Refurbs are a sweat deal - best value. I just ordered my first iPad, an iPad2 the other day, comes with new battery and case and all refurbs include the 'same-as'new warranty'. Most of the time they look brand new, I had a 2009 refurb iMac.

6. BIS2 thread starter macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong but refurbs don't come in the original packaging right? Just a plain box but with all the usual accessories?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's correct.

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are only available from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold by any 3rd party or local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

My refurb iMac came in a white box. Other than that everything looked and was packed as new, except I believe the box with the magic mouse said refurb. My refurb iPad hasn't arrived yet.

I think part of the reason for the different box is in part to prevent some people from buying a refurb and trying to sell as new.

In most cases a refurb is a great way to save money. I just ordered a Vitamix last week that was a refurb for $329 instead of the new model that cost $450, both include warranties, 5 for refurb instead of 7, and new container..., as a photographer two of my lenses and one of my cameras are demo/refurbs. Quality companies, like Apple, offer quality refurb products - the proof is often in their warranty, for apple the warranty is the same as new.

The link above for reburb.me is a great way to see the prices for all refurbs, whether in stock or not. Apples website only lists items currently in stock so a particularly configuration may exist but if not in stock you may not know it's an option.