Possible to get rid of light screen scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hookem12387, Jul 5, 2010.

1. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Is there anyway to get rid of light screen scratches? On not sure where they came from, but they're driving me crazy. I didn't get them over 3yrs on my last iPhone, without a screen protector so I'm not sure exactly why they'd popped up. Thanks yall

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Cover them up with a screen protector, what else? There is no way to remove scratches without replacing the glass. :(

3. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Just make it a bigger scratch.

Okay, on a more serious note... probably not. The only way would be to replace the glass or to try to cover it up with a protector like the previous poster said.

4. hookem12387 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks. I'm not sure why I thought it may be possible

5. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's strange, don't have scratches on my naked over week old iPhone 4. Maybe a bad batch of iPhone 4 screens (bad oleophobic coating that scratches easily)?

There are abrasives to get rid of scratches on glass, but you'd kiss your oleophobic coating goodbye.

7. jtara macrumors 65816

No, plastic polish isn't going to remove scratches from glass.

Got diamond dust?

You might try No Streek Glass Polish. It will fill the fine scratches and minimize their appearance to some degree.

If you scratched the top surface (screen, not back) then scratch-off the diamond dust - it would also remove the oleophobic coating.

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

That's for plastic iPod screens. It would probably do nothing to iPhone screens.

And @OP: I think you may be able to try some car polish and the buffing attachment to a Dremel tool. That's all I can think of. The scratches are likely in the oleophobic coating, and doing this will remove part of or all the coating in that spot. IDK how it will look, do it at your own risk.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The back also has oleophobic coating.

10. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

same with OP, got a scratch and not happy at all -.-. Going to go to apple store on wednesday to get it replaced -.-! thought the screens were scratch resistant? (clearly they aren't)

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple claims fingerprint resistant, not scratch resistant. Two different things. But it does sound like a bad batch of oleophobic coating on the iPhone 4, in which case Apple should replace them. My year old 3GS has no such scratches.

12. jacollins macrumors 6502a

As the others have mentioned, anything you try would screw up the oleophobic coating, so you'd have to treat the whole side of glass, not just the scratch area. Otherwise you'll see a large spot in the glass where you removed the coating with the scratch.