Possible to get VZW to move upgrade date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jmclark, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Jmclark macrumors regular

So my upgrade date is on November 19th (a whole month until I can get an iPhone :( ), but the other two lines on my plan are eligible since one is the account holder and the other hasn't upgraded in four years. Do you think I'd have any luck if I called and asked them to move my date up? I know some people have had luck with AT&T, but I'm not sure about Verizon.

2. jkeekij macrumors regular

You can move one of the other eligible upgrades to your line. We do it all the time, and just did it to get my wife a 4S.

3. Jmclark thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention that they both are planning on using their upgrades whenever I'm eligible.

4. Eleer macrumors newbie

Eleer

I'm in the same boat, my upgrade date is November 12. Not really stressing it. Looking at it as more time for other phones to come out JUST IN CASE I want to go with something different. Probably going 4S, though.

That being said, Galaxy Nexus looks pretty sweet, though I just think Android is TOO much and isn't clean/smooth feeling for some reason (don't ask me why). Another con to the Nexus/any other Droids is the screen size. 3.5 in. screen seems like the perfect size.

Back on topic, though, I have heard of people being within a month of upgrade eligibility and the manager let them slide and get their upgrade. Hope this helps.

5. Jmclark thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I know there's some pretty sweet phones coming out soon, but I need an iOS device, so I'm definitely going with the 4S. I'll have to see if I can get my family to go to the VZW store in a week or two and see if they let it slide, hopefully they do.

Has anyone else had experience with moving upgrade dates with VZW?

6. Jmclark thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for bumping my own thread, but it's been a few days.

I just got off the phone with Verizon customer support, and told them that my phone "didn't turn on anymore" (obviously not true). The lady said that I have an upgrade soon, but I asked if they could move it up. She said that they could if she were to get approval from the supervisor, but the upgrade would have to happen over the phone. I said no thanks (since I don't have a credit card), and asked if I could do it in the store. She said I'd have to get the manager's approval, but it could possibly happen.

So basically, if you're within 30 days of upgrade eligibility and are able to order over the phone, give them a call and they probably will let you upgrade.

7. ijohnbro macrumors regular

You can get it on Nov 19th right? They will still carry the iPhone in nov?

8. NYCoolRunner macrumors newbie

You wouldn't have to prove to them that the phone is broken? I actually got my phone eligible for an upgrade early (had a Blackberry Storm that just would not work), since I complained about it a few times. The screen wouldn't click (as you needed to in order to type on the BB storm), and just numerous other issues. I asked them a few times, and they moved it up so that I could get my droid. I had to bring my phone into the store so that they could look at it though (I believe... it's been almost 2 years since then, so I could be wrong).

9. Jmclark thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but I'm impatient.

It's a phone from 2008, so I just said it's old and probably just finally crapped out on me, and they believed it.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Your odds are better if your account generates significant revenue for the carrier.

11. Jmclark thread starter macrumors regular

How much is "significant revenue"? My family pays about $130-140 a month for our three dumbphones.