Possible to get websites to see 6+ as not a mobile device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevo8, Sep 22, 2014.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

I hate mobile websites and with the added real estate on the 6+ it would be nice to not need to scroll to the bottom of every page to select the non mobile site, so I was wondering if it's possible to have the phone setup so I wouldn't need to bother with changing it?

2. richard371 macrumors 68020

I was wondering the same thing. I didn't see a global setting anywhere.

3. fs454 macrumors 68000

iOS 8 has a feature to request desktop sites automatically, but I think you need to do it on a tab-by-tab basis.

Just tap the address bar, and scroll down on your favorites icons to reveal the Request Desktop Site button.

4. lke macrumors 6502a

Maybe using a 3rd party browser.

There are some browsers that let you change the desktop rendering and use internet explorer 8, or other browser so that the website thinks you are using a normal browser and not one from the iphone.

I also have seen that some websites when you use your ipad they display the mobile version, I think it is an error because with an ipad the webpage is displayed better in desktop version.

I have used this one:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/perfect-web-browser-extraordinary/id317836614?mt=8

5. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Thanks for the info!

Still better than fishing on the site for it.

6. MH01 Suspended

MH01

The detection happens on the website side. It works out your browser and device and serves you the version of the site.

The site should have an option to view the site in desktop version. Have a look for it.

I also hate mobile optimised sites

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Pretty much what the OP said in his post, no?

8. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

As posted previously, Safari allows for this on a webpage visit by webpage visit only. You can download other browsers such as Dolphin (my favorite) or Mercury and set the default agent to desktop mode and it will always load that version.

9. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Maybe I added more detail so others know how the detection happens? There are users on here that do not work on website development ;)

Just trying to be helpful.

10. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

:rolleyes:

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Apple needs to add a "always use" button to that, so that it will always do the request for that site automatically. That would make it a lot more useful.

12. dotme macrumors 6502a

Many up to date websites will use responsive design, which rearranges (but usually does not hide any) content based on screen size. So the "mobile version" may become a thing of the past for websites as time marches on...

13. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

14. vkramer macrumors regular

The big trend in web design is to have everything be responsive. Most new websites don't have a desktop version, they just scale or rearrange elements based on device resolution. Search "responsive" or "media queries". Thus for these sites it is not possible to get the way it would display on desktop.

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Unfortunately MacRumors is not one of them, and one of those I need to keep constantly trying to get the desktop version back on iPhone 6 Plus.