Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I have an iMac and a 20" Cinema Display. When watching TV on the Cinema display, the sound of course still comes from my main display, the iMac. I am getting kind of used to it but it is a bit strange to see the picture to my right and the sound coming from straight ahead. It would be better if I could put speakers next to the Cinema display which only played the sounds coming from that display while leaving the iMac to have it's own sounds.

I don't think this is possible but maybe someone has figured it out.

Thanks.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Just plug in speakers when watching TV and unplug it when not watching TV. Other than that, I've never heard of one that can do both.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
What about if I plugged USB speakers directly into the cinema display? Do they interrupt audio from the iMac's internal speakers like plugging a set into the headphone jack would?

Do USB speakers even exist and work on the Mac? I guess if they do I could get a set and set them up next to the Cinema Display. Then as you said when watching TV just plug in the USB cable to the back of the ACD. Then again doesn't the ACD support USB 1.1 only? Is that an issue?

What would be really cool is if there were software that you could designate specific apps to play via the USB speakers only, then all other sounds would come from the internal speakers. Surprised some genius hasn't thought of this.

Thanks!

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I may have found a solution but need time to download and test it, not to mention buy a pair of USB speakers. I found a freeware app called SounceSource 2.0, seems to be what I need. Will report back.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Wow did I solve my problem today. I went to Best Buy and bought a set of Logitech V20 notebook speakers. I plugged them into the USB port on the back of my Cinema Display. OS X recognized them in the sound control panel immediately as Logitech USB speaker. When I want to use the iMac's built in speakers I select the internal speakers option, when I want to use the Logitech speakers I simply select them in the same sound control panel. Everything works perfectly and I did not need any other software as I first thought I might. The bonus is that the sound quality coming from these V20 speakers is terrific. I couldn't be happier, nor could it be any easier to do or work any more perfectly.

The volume controls on the speaker control the volume in OS X without any problem, I have not tested the other media playback buttons yet but suspect they too will work just fine.

I was able to put them on their sides and they fit perfectly under my Cinema Display, I didn't have to take up any more desk space at all to use these. Finally they are a silver and black combo which match my Cinema display just great.

As you can tell I am excited with this arrangement and hope it helps someone else who might be trying to solve a similar problem.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Another alternative (though you seem content with your current setup) is using VLC or Mplayer for media, and designating channel outputs.

I use the optical out on my imac going to a 5.1 speaker setup (Logitech Z5500), and with Mplayer and VLC - system sounds (ims and what not) are "centered" around the imac - while the media being played sounds as if it's centered around the external monitor. (thanks to channel delay setup in the software)

Kinda tool-ish, but it makes for a sweet sound stage without giving up system alerts.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
Another alternative (though you seem content with your current setup) is using VLC or Mplayer for media, and designating channel outputs.

I use the optical out on my imac going to a 5.1 speaker setup (Logitech Z5500), and with Mplayer and VLC - system sounds (ims and what not) are "centered" around the imac - while the media being played sounds as if it's centered around the external monitor. (thanks to channel delay setup in the software)

Kinda tool-ish, but it makes for a sweet sound stage without giving up system alerts.

Interesting, however I do not give up system alerts. They simply play on the speakers I have selected, whether it be the internal or the external USB set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.