Possible to have a "battery remaining" feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Oct 7, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wouldn't it be so cool if the iPhone had another field in the "Usage" screen that shows how much time you have left on the battery (not percentage)? Think of Apple's MacBooks. If you look in the battery menu it will show you how much time is remaining (an estimate).... based on what you've been doing (example: watching a movie). I think the iPhone could be smart enough to be able to do this. That way people will know for sure why their battery doesn't last as long as they thing it's going to.

Lets say, you're using GPS one day and you look at your usage and it says "about 2 hours remaining" ... you might say... wow, I better take it easy if I want this to last me until the end of the day... so then you start listening to the iPod for a while and now it says "about 18 hours remaining" because if you KEEP listening to the iPod only, that's how long it will last. Based on your activity history.

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i agree.

i never understood the point of a battery icon on anything. it's way, way too vague. anything that runs off battery power should have something like a percentage at the top in place of an icon. this way, the user can moderate the device as they watch the % decrease...always knowing the exact amount of juice left. (or a 'time left' counter)

just looking at a tiny battery icon doesn't really do you any good imo.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I'd like either a percentage or time remaining displayed. On my MBP, I use time remaining.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah! I hate how the battery moves 1 pixel... how much percent is 1 pixel? Is it just showing that the iPhone has been used since it's been unplugged or is it like 98% or 95%... I have no idea.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I agree that the iPhone would benefit from a time remaining status.

For those who have jailbroken their iPhone getting a % display is quite trivial through BossPrefs. Apple needs to make their Settings application a lot more extensive but they just don't seem to learn, multiple alerts for SMS being a classic example.

6. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

There is an app for jailbroken iPhones that will show percentage remaing numerically. I wonder, though, how accurate it really is.

7. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

It's a setting in big boss pref... It's accurate... Down to 1%

Although for some odd reason it just disappears and goes back to the battery icon for some reason...

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I agree it is accurate, I have it permanently set to display the % display.

Sometimes it does revert, this is usually after a battery remaining warning, i.e. 20% or 10% I guess it has something to do with that. Doesn't take much to get it back again.

9. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Tap it to toggle back and forth between the battery image, and the percentage.

It took me a long damn time to figure out why it would seemingly randomly switch.

I would probably still be banging my head from it if I hadn't happened to come across a random forum post that said, "How to you get the battery percentage to come up when you tap the battery icon?"

I saw that post, and had an epiphany. I tapped it, and it changed! I then told the poster to install BossPrefs, and no one was the wiser that I actually learned this from his question! :)