Possible to have different ringtones/sounds for contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by robo456, Jul 17, 2014.

1. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Hi guys...

I'm looking into switching over from a Droid Razr MAXX that has been slowing down to the point of being unusable (tried factory reload and everything) to a new iPhone when the 6 series comes out in September.

I've been doing alot of research on different elements that are important to me such as multiple Google calendar syncs (my wife and I both have a personal calendar that we can view), camera apps, and a few music apps.

There's one thing I can't see to find anywhere. I know you can make custom ringtones, but my question is can you specify a particular ringtone for someone in your contact list? or is it just ONE ringtone for everyone?

And to take that a step further, can you assign a different notification sound for a person in the contact list? For example, I have a ham radio buddy, so when he shoots me a text on my Droid, it beeps out his callsign in morse code, or like when my wife texts me it plays a clip of Worf from Star Trek. (heh, we went thru a next generation phase... "Captain... incoming message.")

Thanks very much for any info!!

--rob

2. chabig macrumors 68040

3. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

Thanks for your quick reply! Does this go for the text/sms notification as well?

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Could you explain more specifically how that can be accomplished?

Thanks...:)

5. chabig macrumors 68040

Yes.

----------

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971155

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

7. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

Thanks so much!!

--rob

**EDIT**

Oh, thought of one last thing. On my Droid there is "Smart Actions", one that I am using is for the speaker volume. At 10pm, it shuts off all ringers and notification tones, UNLESS it's a call or text from a particular person (or group) from my contacts... does the iPhone have similar functionality?

8. chabig macrumors 68040

9. robo456, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014

robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456