Possible to have dual screen for MBP with thunderbolt port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by littlekenneth, Jul 3, 2011.

1. littlekenneth, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011

littlekenneth macrumors member

I have a mid year 2010 mpb. I am facing problem with setting up dual screen for the mbp. I have a 27inches LED display which the adapter is good for using as one screen display and using the mbp as the second display, however, I want to use the 24inches apple display to setup to be the second display. My problem that I run into now is that both display adapter are different and I can't find anything to setup the dual screen. What can I do to setup the dual screen for mbp? Thanks

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

you don't have a thunderbolt port if it's a 2010

I don't really understand the question. Which computer is driving the displays?

3. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

Oh I might be confused with the display port with mine, the one I have should be the mini display port. The MBP I have is a dual core cpu.

I am using the MBP to drive the display right now. I want to use the MBP to drive the 27inches LED display and the 24 display. Is there an adapter on the market that allow me to use both screen at the same time but not mirror image?

4. basher macrumors 6502

basher

You would need to add an additional video out to the MBP in order to drive an additional display. I'm not 100% on this, but you might try adding a second video out on the MBP via the USB port. Take a look at the following product.

I've used the adapter on my Windows laptop and it works pretty well. Nothing I'd want to watch videos or game on, but for basic video things it worked like a charm.

5. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

Am I suppose to plug the 27 inches to the MBP mini display port and the 24 to this adapter? Will the resolution make a big difference? and will it have mirror image effect? I am concern about not being able to display dual screen.

6. littlekenneth thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone have another method to solve my problem?

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

No, this is the solution..you can google all you want but they all refer to something like this. There is even a youtube video that shows it in action

8. JonBook Pro macrumors member

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If they were 2 30" I'd probably agree..the MDP is going power the first one with no issues at full resolution..The one I watched on youtube I believe he said he was getting 1920x1050 which'll be enough for the smaller monitor but I could be wrong