Possible to have screen brightness "upgraded"???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GhostMac24, Feb 22, 2012.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Pardon my ignorance as to how screen brightness is determined (hardware? software? etc?). I have a 17" MBP with an intel Core Duo and the screen is rather dim, especially compared to my wife's brand new MBP. Other than that, this laptop is awesome and I have no issues with it other than wishing the screen was brighter.

So, is it possible (without spending what it would cost to get a new computer :) ) to upgrade the screen brightness?

I plan to get a new laptop in the coming months but I have a few software programs that I absolutely have to run on this MBP since it runs SL which won't work on Lion (this biggest is a full SPSS license). So selling this laptop is not an option. The new laptop will be an addition.

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

As newer Macs use better and brighter display technology (LED for one), you can only get a brighter screen with a new display, though I don't know, if there is one fitting your Mac, that is brighter than your current one.
    You could also just get an external display for 200 USD and use that.

Btw, 2011 MBPs can run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
    [SUCCESS!]Late 2011 Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

There's so many variables to think about, the connectors would probably be different, the power consumption would be different, the ribbon for the display would be different... All in all, it's probably possible, but I wouldn't recommend trying it unless your laptop is disposable incase it all goes wrong.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's the opposite for me....My (Mid 2011) MBP 17" high res screen is TOO bright...I'm always turning it down.

5. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Totally understand. I have a new iMac 27" that I have the brightness setting below 50% as anything higher is really bright and stressful on the eyes. And that is still brighter than my older MBP!

That's what I was afraid of. Thank you for the reply.

Wow, good know. Thanks for the info.