Possible to have virtualbox AND Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Mar 15, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So I currently have a Windows partition installed via Bootcamp. I would also like to run virtual box for those times that I dont want to boot %100 into Windows. Can I set this up?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes it is possible to have one or more Windows VMs besides Boot Camp.

Or do you mean you want to use the Boot Camp partition as the base for the Virtual Box VM?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know you can with Parallels and with Fusion

But I don't believe VirtualBox has the capability of reading your Bootcamp partition

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Yep this is what I wanted to do actually. Not possible with VB?

5. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

Does anyone know if you can use the same copy of windows 4 both VM/Par and Bootcamp? (same product key?)

6. ssd macrumors newbie

ssd

When I tried starting a Boot Camp Windows 7 in Mac via Parallels, it displayed a message that I may need to re-register my copy of Windows, although it never happened. So to answer your question, Parallels (=Microsoft) consider it two copy install.

7. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

Thx, another question though I have two copies of windows 7 Pro from school one 32bit & one 64bit IYO which one 4 bootcamp and which one 4 VM/Par? I plan to have 4 or 6 GB of Memory. I was thinking 64bit for bootcamp and 32 bit for VM because of windows 32bit memory issue

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you install Windows via Bootcamp, Parallels or Fusion will be able to access the Bootcamp partition. You will have to install the VMware Tools or the Parallels equivalent and reactivate with the same product code. You do not need 2 installs or 2 separate codes, it is the same Windows.

If you are going to make 2 separate installs, make the 64 bit the Bootcamp install to access more than 4 GB or RAM

9. phrint macrumors 6502

Yes you can use the same copy of Windows. You will just need to do the phone verification for the second one and it should work. Office and Visio are the ones that are a PITA. I have been working on it for a week and I still am unable to verify in Parallels for some odd reason. Even the phone piece won't work. My software is from a digital download with backup hard copies on the way so I'll try a fresh install from the discs and see what happens. I am not too happy as that is the reason I wanted Parallel's in the first place. The product is useless to me right now for quick access to documents and Outlook.

10. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

Thx that is a lot better than putting 2 windows on it and probably not using it much outside if work.

11. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

Thx

12. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Technically speaking it should even be possible to use the same vdi in both mac os and windows.

Hmmm... build in one, import the vdi in the other. i have to try that this weekend.

13. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I tried Bootcamp with XP and Parallels - no problem. I also tried Virtualbox with no luck.

Even Parallels' site says that you can do it with one install.

I wish I had a copy of VMWare, though! That must be the best of the lot for most of us.

14. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

which is better? Par vs VM? Or is there no difference? I heard from my brother who had both that Par was faster with his win 7.

15. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I haven't tried Parallels 5 and the new Fusion, but I would choose Fusion after what I heard. I have Parallels 4 and it's been working OK until I removed it. I just didn't use Windows for a while and I was changing computers.

Again, Parallels is nice, but people recommend Fusion more.

If you can afford, buy either Fusion or Parallels. It makes a big difference to run both OS simultaneously. Now I wouldn't even bother with Boot Camp. If you don't want top spend, then it's Virtualbox.

EDIT: I think Fusion 3 is very stable and Parallels 5 is faster. Ars Technika (?) and a few reviews verify that P5 had some bugs at launch, but you have to be aware that these people often test with big machines and big softwares. However, Fusion is all-round 64 bit, unlike P5, which remains at least partially 32 bit.

BUT ANYWAY, my thoughts are that both have trials, so just try them. Currently, MacUpdate's bundle includes Parallels 5 for $49.99 That's a pretty good deal on its own, even without the extra applications. But who knows what the next MacHeist Bundle will include...