Possible to install Android?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by EthanXC1, Jul 6, 2011.

1. EthanXC1 macrumors member

Is it possible to install android on the iPad now that it has been jail broken?

2. rmul86 macrumors 6502

Best thing you can do is download dream board, there's a few android themes.

3. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Fasten your seat belt, I hear an army of "Apple worshipers" with fully loaded rocket launchers headed your way :)

4. jailbreakFiend macrumors member

Well OpeniBoot works on some devices but I don't think the iPad is supported quite yet...

Here's the link:
    http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/OpeniBoot

From what I could grasp, it doesn't look very easy or straighforward by any means. It could even mess up your device.

Try at your own risk I guess.

5. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Bummer.. would have been neat to play with android on Apple hardware.

6. fattire357 macrumors regular

My understanding is that the few projects that were started were plagued by optimization issues.

For instance, Apple does a really nice job of conserving power, letting your iPad run for hours on end :D. They obviously do not release the source code for these drivers, so when they put linux on an older iPhone, man, that thing got hot as heck and basically went from full battery to empty in an hour, despite having the display turned off.

You can probably understand why there hasn't been any real serious effort... best case scenario maybe you could get 70% battery optimization but it will never be nearly as good.

For a while I ran Cyanogen Mod 7 on my Samsung Galaxy S - despite being half open source Samsung's phone also suffered from some proprietary drivers that were hacked together by Cyanogen and I only had about 2/3 battery. And that required a lot of effort. Kinda sucks.

No drivers = no optimization.