Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Hello everyone,

Phew... decisions decisions... can't figure out what I want to do. Well I put off getting the w3580 for now as it is kind of high.. however, I did see this processor and was wondering if it will work also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TURBOCHARGE...4017?cmd=ViewItem&pt=CPUs&hash=item3f00dc6751

This is called the Intel Quad-core i7 extreme 4.3 ghz cpu.. and its only going for a buy it now of 440 or 445 which is in the right price range for my taste. However, I am fully aware that I would have to change out the memory, as the memory I have is ECC DDR 1066. Has anyone had success in using the core i7 extreme in a mac pro quad-core? Also, will I still have the 4 virtual cores on top of my 4 physical cores?

Limitations between xeon w3580(any mac pro xeon w35 series) versus this one? I see that the desktop parts are a lot cheaper than the xeons.

I need to know this information before I make a final decision, as I am sure the seller on ebay will be pretty p'off at me for not buying the processor.

Help!

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
It's a 2.66GHz Core i7 920 processor that they are guaranteeing will hit 4.3GHz when overclocked, some will not go that high. Buy your W3580.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.